Perfect Pot Roast

2 Mar

Making a good pot roast is a infinitely rewarding experience; how else can you take a relatively cheap and tough piece of meat, leave it alone for a few hours, and have a rich and delicious meal waiting for you at the end? Sunday roasts are a tradition here in the Western world, and we don’t make this dish often enough. I have two simple rules when it comes to judging a successful pot roast: 1) it should never require a knife to cut, and 2) gravy should be minimal and complementary, and not used as a quick fix for a dry roast. Many cuts of beef can be used for pot roast, but I have found that a chuck roast has the perfect blend of affordability and marbling.

Let’s talk about how I approach this dish, and most other roasts. The term “to roast” actually means to cook in a dry heat, which can often result in a dry dish. Roasting in its most effective form is over an open flame or a rotisserie, which is definitely not what we’re going for with this dish. Most of the “roasting” I do is actually “braising” – roasting it in liquid – which is also commonly called “pot roasting” (you can see the ambiguity, right?). Braising a piece of meat is important because it allows the meat’s connective tissue to melt, resulting in a tastier and more tender dish. With a dry roast, you are likely to have a dry meat with hardened connective tissue.

I should also mention that this roast, and many of my other dishes, wouldn’t be possible without my incredible Le Creuset French Oven. What makes this oven ideal is its heavy cover which keeps moisture locked in. Its $275 price point might seem steep, but you can use it in hundreds of ways and has a 101-year warranty. If you’re going to have only one dish for the rest of your life, I say that you’d be safe with this one.

You’ll need:
3-6 lb chuck roast
1 cup beef stock
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup red wine
1 onion, 2 carrots, 2 stalks of celery (chopped into large pieces)
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 sprig thyme
salt/pepper to taste

Preheat your oven to 300 degrees. In a french/dutch oven heat up the oil on med/high heat for 5 mins and brown each side of the roast, 2-3 minutes on each side, adding some salt and pepper on each side.

Remove the roast and set it to the side.

Reduce the heat to medium and add the onion, celery, and carrots. Saute for about 8 minutes, scraping up any browned bits from the roast. Return the chuck roast to the pot and add the beef and chicken stocks (using both types of stocks makes a tasty meal without an overbearing “beefy” taste). Next add enough water to make the chuck roast submerged halfway, about 1/2 cup. Place the lid on the french oven and put it in the oven (middle rack) and roast on 300 degrees for about three hours.

After an hour and a half, flip the roast. Starting at the two-hour mark check it for doneness. You should be able to easily tear it apart with a fork. Given the fact that the meat is safely nestled in a bunch of liquid, you can cook it as long as you’d like without fear of it drying out – in fact, the longer the better (although anything longer than four hours is probably too long).

Carefully remove the roast and cover it with tinfoil. While it rests, let’s make your pan sauce.

Strain the veggies (they will be all kinds of mushy now) and preserve the liquid (should be about 1 1/2 cups). Pour the liquid back into the french oven and turn the heat up to med/high. Reduce the liquid to about one cup, which will take about 5 minutes. Next, add the red wine and further reduce the liquid to about 1 cup, which should take another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Once the sauce is ready, return to the roast, and cut it into meal-sized portions using a sharp knife. Spoon some of the gravy over the beef and serve.

So there you have it. A foolproof way to make a jaw-dropping roast, perfect for any Sunday dinner.

22 Responses to “Perfect Pot Roast”

1. Ullrich Fichtner March 2, 2011 at 9:35 pm #

Lovely recipe. Thank you! You could think of lowering the heat (to, say, 250 ℉ or even less) and extend the cooking time (to overall 4-5 hours). By doing so, you further reduce the risk of “overdoing” the meat – and the whole roast will be even more tender than yours already looks. Anyway: this way of roasting/braising is a wonderful way of handling real meat…

• Russ Crandall March 2, 2011 at 10:44 pm #

Hi Ullrich, thanks for the tip. I had read before that 250 is also a good temperature for chuck roast but had opted for 300 (which I had also read about) to reduce the cooking time. I’ll try it at 250 next time!

2. Tracy and Katie March 4, 2011 at 1:13 pm #

That looks delicious! I need to try this recipe out.

-Katie =)

3. sharon s January 7, 2012 at 12:27 pm #

I have an eye round roast in the freeze that I need to use, do you think that would work for this recipe?

• Russ Crandall January 7, 2012 at 2:07 pm #

Sharon, funny you should mention that – I am publishing an eye of round roast recipe on Tuesday! I’ll email you the directions right now so as to not spoil the surprise for the rest of my readers. Eye of round roast would not do very well with the recipe above; it’s a very tough cut of meat (taken from the hind leg portion of the cow, which gets a lot of exercise) and would likely not be as fall-apart delicious as with a chuck roast.

4. Renae Miller March 12, 2013 at 2:02 pm #

This is really, really, really good. Seriously. It’s melt in my mouth delicious. My other favorite recipe of yours is the shepherd’s pie. I’ve made it nearly every week this winter because my husband and I can’t get enough. Thanks for sharing your amazing recipes!

5. Mike May 10, 2013 at 3:29 pm #

can i use a rib eye roast with this recipe?

6. Jonny DW August 22, 2013 at 8:35 pm #

I dont have a dutch oven, would a crock pot work?

• Russ Crandall August 23, 2013 at 8:10 pm #

Jonny, it should work okay with a crock pot.

7. brian October 4, 2013 at 12:21 am #

could i use a roasting pan and cover with tin foil, or perhaps a pyrex dish covered with tin foil. i would love to try the recipe but i don’t hav a french or dutch oven

• Russ Crandall October 4, 2013 at 7:39 am #

Brian, either of your ideas would work fine. I would double-wrap with tin foil to trap as much heat in as possible.

8. Sharon November 9, 2013 at 4:13 pm #

Hi,
    Could I use pork loin roast for this recipe? its what I have in the freezer. Tk you

9. robert December 8, 2013 at 4:05 pm #

I purchased a “mock tender roast”. would this recipe be in line or does this fall into the anything but tender category? by the way great site looking forward to the book

• Russ Crandall December 9, 2013 at 4:16 pm #

Robert, a mock tender roast is also known as a chuck steak, and does well with braising. So yeah, this recipe will be good for that cut!

10. Midge January 14, 2014 at 6:00 pm #

Cooked a 3.5# boneless chuck roast for a little over 2 hrs. at 300. It was done through by that time, not quite as tender as I’d hoped…though very good. Think I’d try 250 next time around for a longer stretch and perhaps add the vegetables in halfway through to avoid them getting quite so mushy? Great tasting recipe…easy enough. Just need to get it down. Thanks so much!

11. Marie May 4, 2014 at 3:31 pm #

Can I thicken the broth/wine juices with a bit of flour and water for a gravy?

• Russ Crandall May 5, 2014 at 8:35 pm #

Marie, if you’re looking to make a full-on gravy, you’ll want to make a roux to thicken it. To do so, melt 2 tbsp of butter on med/low heat, then add 2 tbsp flour (I use rice flour) and mix them together; toast the roux until nutty smelling, about 2 minutes, then add it to the sauce. Bring it to a simmer and it’ll thicken.

• Marie May 6, 2014 at 3:41 pm #

That sounds great; thanks for the tip!

12. Christie May 18, 2014 at 8:13 pm #

I made this pot roast tonight for dinner and it was delicious! I used the stock I made this week from some delicious marrow bones and then used it to make a roux-based gravy using the recipe from The Ancestral Table. It was absolutely the best gravy I have ever made! Keep the great recipes coming!

1. Menu Plan Monday 9/1 | The Meanest Momma - September 1, 2014