Lemongrass Pork Chops

13 Mar

NOTE: An updated version of this recipe appears in my cookbook, The Ancestral Table.

If you’ve ever been to a Vietnamese restaurant and not headed straight to the pho section of the menu, you may have tried lemongrass pork, which is a sweet/savory grilled pork dish. I decided to incorporate these unique flavors into thick-cut pork chops (because face it, there’s only so many ways to cook pork chops) and I added a citrusy pan sauce on top for good measure.

Brining is an essential part of juicy pork chops (even the traditional Vietnamese recipe calls for marinating overnight), so be sure to start this recipe well in advance of dinnertime.

You’ll need:
2 large, thick cut pork chops (bone-in, center cut preferred)
3 stalks of lemongrass, chopped (1/2 cup if using pre-chopped lemongrass)
6 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbsp each water and fish sauce
1 tsp each sesame oil, black pepper, sea salt, tamari and potato starch
1/2 cup chicken broth
juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp coconut oil

In a food processor (or my handy Magic Bullet), puree 2/3 of the lemongrass, 4 of the garlic cloves, the water, fish sauce, sesame oil, black pepper, salt and 1/2 the lime juice. Pour the mixture into a ziploc bag with the pork chops, and marinate for 2-4 hours (or overnight).

Remove the pork chops from the bag and pat dry with a paper towel. There should be some of the mixture stuck to the pork chops, which is good. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees and put a heavy duty baking pan inside the oven to heat it up. Heat up the coconut oil in a different pan on the stovetop on high heat.

Sear the pork chops for three minutes on each side as the oven is heating up. Don’t discard the pan when you’re done with it!

Place the pork chops on the baking pan in the oven (which will produce a nice sizzling sound) and cook for six minutes. Flip the pork chops and cook for another six minutes. Use a thermometer to check the internal temperature – if it’s at least 130 degrees, you’re ready to take them out. Immediately transfer them to a plate and cover them with tin foil, letting it rest for at least five minutes. This part is crucial because the rest of the pork will cook while it rests, and it gives you time to whip up the pan sauce.

Return the pan you used to sear the pork chops to the stovetop, and turn the heat to med/high. Add the remaining 1/3 of the lemongrass and 2 garlic cloves and saute for about 30 seconds, then add the chicken broth, tamari and the rest of the lime juice, scraping up any pork bits that were stuck to the bottom of the pan. As that simmers for a few minutes, add a little water to the potato starch to create a milky liquid. Add this liquid to the pan, stirring constantly, and remove from the heat once it gets to your desired thickness.

Take the pork chops from the tin foiled plate and serve, pouring the pan sauce on top. One thing I should note that when tenting the pork with tin foil, they’ll only reach about 155 degrees. This means they could potentially be a little pink, which is fine (medium rare pork is the only one I’d really worry about).

58 Responses to “Lemongrass Pork Chops”

1. Buttoni March 17, 2011 at 11:36 am #

These really look intriguing. I have some lemon grass on hand and plan on trying these!

2. PaleoPeriodical March 18, 2011 at 12:00 pm #

These look awesome. Will definitely be giving them a try.

3. gunn parker March 24, 2011 at 3:06 am #

Hi
    I made these last night and they are a big hit. VERY nice indeed.
    I marinated the chops over night in a container and had to cook them just in a pan. But they are great.
    Thanks

4. Rufus' Food and Spirit Guide April 12, 2011 at 11:25 am #

5. Harold April 12, 2011 at 11:32 am #

Definitely have to give this a try, Thanks! Congrats on being FP!

6. Laura April 12, 2011 at 11:45 am #

I love lemongrass. I didn’t know you could get it pre-grated though! I have some stalks in my freezer I need to use and this sounds like a perfect way to use them. Thanks for the recipe!

7. modestcupboard April 12, 2011 at 11:47 am #

i’m not much of a pork chop fan, but you have me inspired! these look fantastic. love the fresh flavor lemon grass adds to any meal!
    cheers,

8. I Made You A Mixtape April 12, 2011 at 11:50 am #

With LEMONGRASS??? How intriguing! These go in my recipe file… ;o)

9. enjoibeing April 12, 2011 at 12:14 pm #

i love love love pork chops, looks amazing, nice photos very appetizing

10. The Compulsive Writer April 12, 2011 at 1:00 pm #

Oh how I love this posts! Yet another wonderful wordpress blog about food! Because, I …can’t cook. It’s nice to see what people can do with such a talent. I think I’ll end up one of those wrinkly old ladies sitting at a corner cafe watching the young people coming out of the organic food store saying, “you people make my arse twitch.” But…I love ya!

11. Kathryn McCullough April 12, 2011 at 2:13 pm #

Wow–the pork chops look amazing. My partner and I lived in Vietnam for a year and I’m sure would love these!

Congrats to you and lemon grass on freshly pressed. Hang on for the ride!

Kathy

12. Lakia Gordon April 12, 2011 at 2:40 pm #

The sauce looks amazing.

13. NCPRC April 12, 2011 at 3:15 pm #

Wow!! These look amazing. Thank you for the dinner idea tonight.

14. RevvNRG April 12, 2011 at 3:21 pm #

Thank you thank you these look fantastic, we are making them tonight!!

15. alia j April 12, 2011 at 3:25 pm #

Wow these look truly amazing, I’m a large and in charge fan of lemongrass anything! Thanks for this, I’m gonna make it this weekend.

~Alia @ http://www.onedelishdish.com

16. drheights48127 April 12, 2011 at 3:39 pm #

Can I use lemon balm I have so much of it in the summer.

• Russ Crandall April 12, 2011 at 3:59 pm #

Hi, as far as I know lemon balm is more like mint than lemongrass. I know it’s used in pesto, but I’m not sure how it would do at a high heat, like in this recipe. I’d love to hear how it goes, if you’re willing to sacrifice some pork chops to find out :) Good luck!

17. J Roycroft April 12, 2011 at 4:09 pm #

Look tasty. If they pass my test I’ll add them to my “Man Food Recipes”
    Congrats on FP

18. walkablefeast April 12, 2011 at 5:46 pm #

I saw a comment like this already, but I repeat: “wait a minute, there’s pre-grated lemongrass?” Then again, since I think the best breadmakers are hands, I might not have bought that anyway.

Your recipe sounds great.

19. QRI April 12, 2011 at 6:42 pm #

Wow; thanks for sharing! That looks scrumptious!

20. CrookedPage April 12, 2011 at 7:00 pm #

Lemongrass is my FAVORITE herb, and also my favorite smell. These look delicious and I can’t wait to try them! Thanks for sharing with us, and I’m glad you got a feature post!

21. Russ Crandall April 12, 2011 at 7:35 pm #

Thanks everyone for the nice comments! I’m very surprised and excited by the bump to the front page.

22. lightningflash2 April 12, 2011 at 7:44 pm #

Those pictures look so good; and I don’t even like pork! Haha, you make me want to try new things

23. louisesmithers April 12, 2011 at 8:19 pm #

I love lemon grass. Didn’t know you could buy it frozen though. This looks so yummy, thanks for posting.

24. aidasite April 12, 2011 at 8:38 pm #

Where have I’ve been? Your blog looks delicious! I will definitely try something and come back!

25. amandarecord April 12, 2011 at 9:21 pm #

I’m going to have to try this one. I opted for chicken at the grocery store last night (rather than Pork). But next week I’ll switch it up!

26. rtcrita April 12, 2011 at 11:54 pm #

27. preparingtofly April 13, 2011 at 12:13 am #

I love Vietnamese food!! I love lemon grass too, its soooo yum!
    I once brought a lemon grass plant, but didn’t manage to grow that well probably due to weather conditions or poor maintenance.

But i just love it! Wouldn’t mind living across lemon grass or the pork chop you wrote about. haha Thanks for sharing.

28. leezy86 April 13, 2011 at 1:18 am #

delectable!

29. realanonymousgirl2011 April 13, 2011 at 2:27 am #

Those look absolutely tasty!

• aspiredwriter April 13, 2011 at 3:22 am #

Hellloooo…..
      They are really looking delicious…..
      yummyyy
      I wish some one made’em for me…
      I’ll take it all.not going to share

30. yagerbabies April 13, 2011 at 4:31 am #

I am not sure if I am just really hungry right now… but the moment I read the title I was drooling! MMMmmm if only my partner ate pork :( I’d have rushed out, grabbed a few things and had it all prepared for LUNCH tomorrow :D Great post!

31. whatsaysyou April 13, 2011 at 4:38 am #

That looks so yummy. If this dish is served in a cafe or restaurant, I would so pay to eat that :)

32. domesticbubblewriter April 13, 2011 at 4:46 am #

Thanks – must tell Husband-in-the-garden-not to make these (as he spends all his time in the kitchen and has dominated the Ocado order).

33. maxgames.me April 13, 2011 at 5:10 am #

thanks for sharing! That looks scrumptious!

34. Roda April 13, 2011 at 6:02 am #

Lemon grass is something I have in my tea every day twice a day along with MINT. The aromas are so refreshing.

35. leadinglight April 13, 2011 at 9:26 am #

Lemongrass has a lovely aroma. I’ve never actually tried Vietnamese.

• Anne-Marie Bacon April 13, 2011 at 3:53 pm #

Love this recipe, will definelty give it a go, you make it sound simple!!

36. Calogero Mira April 15, 2011 at 10:41 am #

Thanks. http://calogeromirafoodand.wordpress.com

37. Sentimental Rox April 18, 2011 at 1:25 am #

This is such a tasty and simple recipe! everything can be changed around to suit what you have but mainly that sauce is devine! well done..

38. rsmacaalay April 18, 2011 at 4:36 am #

Not just an eye candy but sure thing that would be so delicious

Raymund

39. ลดความอ้วน April 18, 2011 at 6:12 am #

Great chops, and the photos were lovely!

40. Those look great. I don’t use much lemongrass and need to branch out with that. Congrats on being Freshly Pressed.

41. I’m salivating just looking at that! I just bought some thick-cut pork chops for grilling this weekend. May just try this instead. I suppose they would be just as good if I grilled them after marinating instead of oven broiling. Either way, they look delicious! Thanks for the recipe.

42. Tiffany December 19, 2012 at 10:07 pm #

This is so flavourful and juicy.. even without the sauce. I cannot imagine the next level of awesomeness if I have the time to whip up the sauce. I’ll be sure to do that next time. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!!!

1. WEDNESDAY 11.03.23 « The Foodee Project | Meals for the paleo lifestyle - March 23, 2011

[...] 22, 2011 by The Foodee Lemongrass Pork Chops The Domestic [...]

2. WEDNESDAY 11.03.23 | CrossFit Fever | Fuel Your Addiction! - March 23, 2011

[...] 11.03.23 23 Mar 2011WEDNESDAY 11.03.23 Posted in Blog, Meal of the Day, RSS | Leave a commentLemongrass Pork Chops The Domestic Man "If you've ever been to a Vietnamese restaurant and not headed straight to the [...]

3. TheFoodee.com – WEDNESDAY 11.03.23 - March 23, 2011

[...] 11.03.23 Lemongrass Pork Chops The Domestic [...]

4. Crossfit Bethesda » 3/24/11 - March 23, 2011

[...] Recipe of the Day: Lemongrass Pork Chops – The Domestic Man [...]

5. CrossFit Extreme Fitness » 3/24/11 - March 23, 2011

[...] Recipe of the Day: Lemongrass Pork Chops – The Domestic Man [...]

6. Lemongrass Pork Chops (via The Domestic Man) « Gem's Blog - April 12, 2011

[...] Lemongrass Pork Chops (via The Domestic Man) Posted on April 12, 2011 by thespiritportal If you've ever been to a Vietnamese restaurant and not headed straight to the pho section of the menu, you may have tried lemongrass pork, which is a sweet/savory grilled pork dish. I decided to incorporate these unique flavors into thick-cut pork chops (because face it, there's only so many ways to cook pork chops) and I added a citrusy pan sauce on top for good measure. Brining is an essential part of juicy pork chops (even the traditional Viet … Read More [...]

7. Lemongrass Pork Chops (via The Domestic Man) « GETTUPS - April 15, 2011

[...] Lemongrass Pork Chops (via The Domestic Man) If you've ever been to a Vietnamese restaurant and not headed straight to the pho section of the menu, you may have tried lemongrass pork, which is a sweet/savory grilled pork dish. I decided to incorporate these unique flavors into thick-cut pork chops (because face it, there's only so many ways to cook pork chops) and I added a citrusy pan sauce on top for good measure. Brining is an essential part of juicy pork chops (even the traditional Viet … Read More [...]

8. 52 Paleo Pork Chops with Amazing Flavor | Paleo Grubs - October 11, 2013

[…] 43. Lemongrass Pork Chops If you’ve been wanting to start cooking with more lemongrass, this is one way to do it. Lemongrass makes pork taste really good, which is surely why they’re using it here. There’s also garlic and lime being used, but the main thing you’re going to taste here is the lemongrass, as it has a pretty strong flavor to it. They cook these up with nice crust to the outside and have a sauce drizzled on top, and say that it’s Vietnamese inspired. They advise that this recipe does take a little bit of time, so not one to attempt when you’re in a rush. […]

9. 20 of the Best Paleo Pork Chops Recipes - December 12, 2013