Hearty Bison Stew

20 Mar

NOTE: An updated version of this recipe appears in my cookbook, The Ancestral Table.

US Wellness Meats recently sent me a package of their grass-fed bison stew meat, and I jumped on the opportunity to make a traditional hearty stew. Rather than settle on the all-too-common crockpot stew (nothing against those), I opted to make this stew the traditional way – browned meat, sautéed onions, simmering wine-and-stock broth, and incrementally-added ingredients – to make sure the final product was both decadent and perfectly-crafted. That might sound like a lot of work, but it really isn’t – this is a dish that can easily be completed in a few hours.

Although the American bison is often referred to as a buffalo, it is only a distant relative of the true buffalo (like the Asian water buffalo). Its closest relative is the European bison, also known as a wisent. Its meat is usually leaner than beef, high in iron, and sweeter-tasting. Because of its leanness, I find that it’s best served in slow-cooked meals like this stew, as hamburgers, or as a grilled meat (like shish-kabobs) served medium-rare.

If you don’t have bison meat on hand, never fear – this stew tastes just as great with beef or lamb stew meat!

You’ll Need:
2 bay leaves
2 russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite-sized chunks
2 carrots, peeled and chopped into bite-sized chunks
1 parsnip, peeled and chopped into bite-sized chunks
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 tsp chopped fresh parsley for garnish

As with most of my red meat-based roasts/stews, I prefer a combination of chicken and beef stock as the braising liquid; it gives the dish its tastiness without an overbearing “beefiness”.

Remove the bison meat from its packaging, and gently rinse with cold water and allow to drain dry. I was amazed at how well the stew meat was cut, and how lean and colorful it was!

In a french/dutch oven, heat up the oil/ghee on medium/high heat for about five minutes. Season the meat with 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper, and brown the meat for a few minutes per side, in batches if needed. Altogether it took me eight minutes to brown the meat. Remove the browned meat and set it aside, leaving the oil inside the french/dutch oven.

Preheat your oven to 300 degrees. Reduce the dutch oven’s heat to medium, and add the chopped onions and a dash of salt. Saute for about five minutes, until the onions are softened. Add the minced garlic and continue to saute for another 30 seconds. Add the red wine, beef and chicken broths, thyme, and bay leaves. Bring everything to a simmer.

Once the broth is simmering, add the browned bison meat, and place in the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

While it’s cooking, prepare your potatoes, carrots, and parsnip.

After an hour and 15 minutes, add the potatoes, carrots, and parsnip and return it to the oven. Bake for another 40 minutes, until the vegetables and meat are tender. Remove the bay leaves.

Rather than deal with making a flour roux or working with potato/arrowroot starch to thicken the stew, we’re going to use the ingredients that are already in the stew. Pretty resourceful, huh?

With a ladle, remove about 1 cup of the cooked potatoes, carrots, and parsnip (be sure to pick out the bison meat), and about 1/2 cup of the remaining broth. Blend your cup of veggies and 1/2 cup of broth together, making a sort of “potato/veggie” paste. Pour this paste back into the dutch oven, and stir everything together, while also stirring in the frozen peas.

Cover and simmer on the stovetop on med/low heat for five minutes. Check for taste, adding salt and pepper as needed.

Garnish with fresh parsley and serve immediately.

(featured on Easy Natural Food’s Sunday Night Soup Night)

18 Responses to “Hearty Bison Stew”

1. Melissa Thomson March 21, 2012 at 10:36 am #

Sounds fabulous! Can’t wait to try this. Love your idea of using the veggies/broth to make the roux.

• Russ Crandall March 21, 2012 at 4:35 pm #

Thanks Melissa! Let me know how it turns out :)

2. Jenna Friesen March 22, 2012 at 12:27 am #

I love the pictures! I’ll have to try this sometime. I’m always scared to try soups and stews because they seem so ambiguous and I don’t want to mess them up – although I love them. This might help me to actually give it a shot!

3. alexboake March 23, 2012 at 8:31 am #

Oh, that’s a fantastic idea, using part of the stew itself to thicken the stew! Awesome stuff.

• Russ Crandall March 23, 2012 at 8:30 pm #

Thanks Alex! I really thought I invented some awesome new way of cooking, but it turns out it’s been around for a while :)

4. easynaturalfood March 28, 2012 at 12:11 am #

Delicious looking stew, and great idea on how to thicken it – looks like a nice, rich, tasty gravy! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe with Sunday Night Soup Night! I’ll be hosting every week so I’d LOVE to see you again with more of your soup/stock/chowder recipes.

• Russ Crandall March 28, 2012 at 6:19 am #

Hi Debbie, thanks for hosting the Sunday Night Soup Night! I’ll be sure to add any soups I make to your project.

5. Edmund March 31, 2012 at 9:04 pm #

I see the bison was from “Wild Idea Buffalo Company”. If you want to read an interesting book about the plains and bison, the non-fiction book “Buffalo for the Broken Heart” was written by one of the company’s founders.

6. tom June 1, 2012 at 1:21 pm #

this is making me so hungry!

any thoughts on how i can modify the recipe to work with an electric slow cooker?

• Russ Crandall (thedomesticman.com) June 4, 2012 at 7:10 am #

You could definitely give this a try in a slow cooker; you’d still want to brown the meat beforehand to get that roasted taste, but after that you could simmer the stew in the slow cooker for a few hours on low, adding the veggies about halfway through. Hope that helps and let me know how it turns out!

7. Genevieve May 12, 2013 at 9:38 pm #

This was excellent, but mine needed about an extra hour for the meat and rutabagas (subbed for parsnip) to be really tender!

8. Terry Downey October 3, 2013 at 5:57 pm #

Sounds delicious, and I am going to make this, but “a few hours” makes this a once-a-month-and-freeze-it recipe for this busy woman. Potatoes don’t freeze particularly well, so I cook them fresh and add them whenever I thaw soup or stew in which I want potatoes.

1. Bison Tallow « The Domestic Man - January 22, 2013

[...] the fact that I had a really good experience with their bison stew meat last year (recipe: Hearty Bison Stew), I wanted to try rendering my own bison tallow. I’m glad I did – the fat was of [...]

2. Rest | brians client workout of the day - April 6, 2013

[...] Recipe- http://thedomesticman.com/2012/03/20/hearty-bison-stew/ [...]

3. Smoked Sausage Stew | Noisette - June 5, 2014

[…] So take this recipe, excuse the pun, with a ‘pinch’ of salt. I based this recipe on the Hearty Stew recipe in Russ Crandall’s Ancestral Table book. The recipe in the book is for any meat you […]