Lettuce Chips

19 Apr

It might sound crazy, but you can totally make lettuce chips. Google it. It’s a thing!

Lettuce chips have a distinct taste to them – they retain a hint of bitterness, and just about melt in your mouth. They’re impossibly delicate so you’ll probably end up eating them all in one sitting instead of trying to store them without crushing everything. My technique for cooking them involved a quick bake in the oven, but I bet you could get the same effect with a food dehydrator for a longer period of time.

You’ll Need:
Some lettuce
some olive oil
a little sea salt
other seasonings (optional)

Baby or leafy lettuce probably works best (as opposed to iceberg or romaine) for this recipe since they’re a more consistent thickness.

Preheat your oven to 275 degrees. Chop your lettuce into chip-sized pieces. In a mixing bowl, toss the lettuce with the olive oil, and sprinkle in a little sea salt.

Place the lettuce on a single layer on a baking pan, and bake for 10-20 minutes. Check it at 10 minutes; if they look crispy, they’re ready to go.

If you’re up for it, you could sprinkle some extra seasonings on top. For example, a little nutritional yeast would give the chips a slightly cheesy texture, and a tiny bit of my BBQ rub or some chili flakes would probably be pretty awesome, too. I put some nutritional yeast on mine and it was excellent. Unfortunately, I ate it so quickly that I forgot to take a proper picture of it, so this iPhone pic I took in my lettuce-chip-eating haze will have to do for now:

12 Responses to “Lettuce Chips”

1. alexboake April 19, 2012 at 11:28 am #

Who knew lettuce could be so addictive!

2. Strictly Paleo...ish April 19, 2012 at 2:43 pm #

Awesome Russ!
    Finding out about this kind of weird craziness is precisely what I love!! ;)

Keep up the good work! :)

//P

3. Connie Warner April 19, 2012 at 5:21 pm #

I’ve made kale chips, which I love, but hadn’t thought about lettuce chips – thanks for this! Definitely important to leave in long enough to get crispy, which I like better than chewy. I do sprinkle with red pepper flakes. I flip mine halfway through cooking to help them get more crispy. They really are addictive!

4. jpooh April 19, 2012 at 5:23 pm #

You had me at “chips.”

5. freehealthycookies April 19, 2012 at 5:26 pm #

I’ve thought about this before, but have doubted that it would work out. Now I know it works and now I’ll try it soon! Thanks!

6. Shari Bambino April 19, 2012 at 6:39 pm #

Fantastic! Of course I’m furious with myself that I never thought of this sticking only to the tired and washed up kale chips because I could not see another way. Good thinking outside the box there Mr. Man.

7. sanitymine April 20, 2012 at 6:25 am #

I need to try this!! I have done it with Brussels sprouts to great effect. Cant believe that I never thought of this…

8. seeherknit July 2, 2012 at 6:24 pm #

I’ve just learned of kale chips. Made them last night and ate them all. But I’ve still got lettuce in the fridge. Cool!

9. Melita July 17, 2012 at 1:09 am #

I usually use a glut of lettuce for soup, however I think the teenager will eat this, brilliant idea

1. Satay…ish Asian Inspired Chicken | Strictly¬†Paleo…ish! - April 25, 2012

[...] Almost forgot! …while the meat was marinating I tried out The Domestic Man’s “Lettuce Chips”… …the plan was to snack on them tonight, but they were all gone before the dinner was [...]

2. Can You Use the Terry Wahls Diet for Chronic Pain? Part 1: Introduction | Pain Database - September 24, 2012

[...] temperature for a shorter time, and avoids getting any burnt chips. You can mix it up by making lettuce chips as [...]