Barbecue Boneless Beef Short Ribs

23 Apr

While spending a few days in Austin last month, I basically dove head-first into Texas barbecue: the pickles, the vinegar-based cole slaw, and man, the brisket! I loved how a dry, blackened crust over their barbecued meats isn’t a bad thing, and how sauce is added according to individual taste, after plating. Even better, the barbecued meats are sold by the quarter pound, so each person gets to choose how much they want to eat. If that’s not the most American way of eating ever, I don’t know what is! These are all concepts that are relatively uncommon in our neck of the woods here in Maryland, so I decided to try my hand at some Texas-style barbecued beef the other day.

When choosing a meat to try, I decided to go the easy route with some boneless short ribs: they are a great size, and fatty enough that I was sure I didn’t need to worry about them drying out while cooking. Turns out I made a great choice – the short ribs were perfectly moist and tasty, and a great change of pace from our typical method of cooking short ribs (braising).

Author’s note: boneless short ribs, like the one in this recipe which came from US Wellness Meats, often come in 1lb. packages; each package will serve two people, and the rub ingredient amounts below are enough for two pounds of meat.

for the rub:
1/2 tbsp each kosher salt and paprika
1 tsp each black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder
1/2 tsp each celery seed, dried oregano, chipotle powder

for the rest:
1 lb boneless beef short ribs
1 handful hickory wood chips
barbecue sauce

The rub in this recipe has become my go-to barbecue beef rub. It’s slightly zesty and has a twinge of spice, perfectly complementing the mellow, meaty flavor that comes with barbecuing beef.

Liberally sprinkle the rub all over the ribs, then let them sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.

At the same time, soak your hickory wood chips in water for 30 minutes as well.

We’re going to cook the ribs using a low-and-slow, indirect heating method at 225 degrees. If you are using a gas grill, turn on a burner at one end of your grill and adjust the heat as needed until you are at 225 degrees. If you’re using charcoal, I’m going to go ahead and assume you know how to put the charcoal on one side of the grill!

Put your wood chips in a smoker box (or make a “box” out of heavy duty tin foil) and place it on the hot side of the grill. Place the ribs on the cool side of the grill. To get ribs like in the picture at the top of this recipe, you’ll want to smoke it until it reaches an internal temperature of 180 degrees. Should take about four hours. Alternatively, you can pull the ribs off the grill when they reach 150 degrees (should take about two hours), and serve them like a steak.

Once you have the ribs cooked to your liking, wrap them in tin foil and put them somewhere that retains heat well – an empty oven, microwave, or cooler will do fine – for 20 minutes while it rests.

Next, simply slice the ribs and serve with barbecue sauce. Couldn’t be easier!

Printer-friendly version

21 Responses to “Barbecue Boneless Beef Short Ribs”

1. Mark Casey April 23, 2013 at 9:01 am #

Russ, These look amazing. I can’t wait to try the recipe. I am glad you had a good time in Austin and enjoyed the food. Keep up the good work.

Mark in Austin

2. Ouida Lampert April 23, 2013 at 9:47 am #

Oh yum. I miss “BBQ” (as we called it in South Georgia – even when the sauce was added after the fact – or not at all) since moving to Pennsylvania.

3. Margo April 23, 2013 at 10:40 am #

This looks amazing. And it sent me to your barbecue sauce recipe… which then made me get on amazon and buy a canning starter kit!

4. slimpalate April 23, 2013 at 12:22 pm #

This is exactly what I needed to see! I’ve been feeling like short ribs are limited to braising but it’s good to know they still come out moist and tender this way. Are they fall apart or more like a steak. And are they chewy at all?

• Russ Crandall (thedomesticman.com) April 23, 2013 at 4:54 pm #

Joshua, they are definitely still sliceable, but not quite like a steak – not very chewy at all. If you want them to fall apart you’d want to wait until the ribs reach an internal temp of around 190-195 instead.

5. Humble Foodie April 23, 2013 at 12:34 pm #

These look fantastic. I don’t have a grill or a smoker at this point, but I’d like to try a version using low and slow cooking in the oven. Any suggestions for getting that smoky, cedar flavor?

• Sharon D. April 23, 2013 at 12:57 pm #

what Humble Foodie said! Oven directions??

• Russ Crandall (thedomesticman.com) April 23, 2013 at 4:53 pm #

Good question. I haven’t done it myself, but if I was going to try and recreate this in an oven I would wrap the ribs in tin foil, adding 1 tbsp each apple cider vinegar and black coffee, and 1 tsp liquid smoke. Then put it in the oven at 250 for four hours, then remove it from the tin foil and broil it to your liking, then remove from oven, re-wrap and let rest for 20 mins before slicing. This is theoretical at this point, so make it at your own risk – and please share the results! :)

6. repurposed redhead April 23, 2013 at 2:58 pm #

Yum, yum, and more yum! This looks perfect for a day of yard work and chores around the house – a perfect reward for a job well done and BONUS – very little clean up. Looks like I have a winner for this Sunday’s supper. Thanks! -Rene

7. trangquynh April 25, 2013 at 12:46 pm #

gosh, the short ribs look absolutely stunning and mouth-watering, I’m especially in love with the sauce, just yummm !! ^^

8. jfooo April 25, 2013 at 7:29 pm #

AH! looks delicious

9. Nathan Reed June 16, 2013 at 7:41 pm #

We made these tonight with cassava fries as a side, excellent!

10. Rick July 6, 2013 at 10:51 am #

how did the oven recipe turn out

11. Backyard Grilling King August 2, 2014 at 9:49 pm #

I’m trying your recipe using a traeger smoker. It looks to be perfect. The local butcher called the cut short ribs, but I’ve also heard they are called country style beef ribs in other parts. I’m in the southwest, and he never heard of country stye beef ribs. He was great about working with me though. I’ll let you know how they turn out.

• TxYankee August 22, 2014 at 5:55 pm #

I’m a meatcutter by trade. Ask for boneless short ribs cut from the top blade if possible. The perfect cut for this recipe

1. Monday 052013 - May 19, 2013

[…] Barbecue Boneless Beef Short Ribs […]

2. Smoked Spare Ribs with Cider | The Domestic Man - July 9, 2013

[…] probably pretty obvious, since I have no less than TEN ribs recipes on my site (my favorites are here and here) – that’s nearly 5% of all my […]

3. Yummy Healthy and Paleo Recipe Blogs | Oh Snap! Let's Eat! - August 13, 2013

[…] Barbecue Boneless Beef Short Ribs […]

4. Tasty Theme Thursday #1- Beef Short Ribs | This Is So Good... - March 27, 2014

[…] Barbecue Boneless Beef Short Ribs from The Domestic Man – Hickory smoked! […]