Beef Bourguignon, Revisited

16 Jul

Some long-term readers may remember that I posted a Beef Bourguignon recipe about this time last year. While it tasted great, I wasn’t happy with some of the steps in the recipe, and I was really unhappy with the pictures. So this past weekend I put my thinking cap on and tackled the dish from scratch, without consulting my old recipe at all. I’m happy to report that I made some pretty big improvements to my old recipe and cut out a couple unnecessary steps along the way. To avoid confusion, I’ve now happily removed my old, obsolete recipe.

Beef Bourguignon is a dish that originates from the Burgundy region of Eastern France. It’s widely accepted that this dish started as a peasant’s recipe, possibly as far back as the Middle Ages, as a way to slow-cook tough cuts of meat. However, it’s not mentioned in cookbooks until the early 20th century, when it was refined into the staple haute cuisine dish it’s generally regarded as today. Most people associate this dish with Julia Child, as her recipe in Mastering the Art of French Cooking is a timeless classic.

This dish is fairly true to the authentic recipes available today, and not terribly unlike Julia’s original recipe. Generally, this dish is cooked with bacon since lean/tough meats were typically used and adding bacon gave this dish some rich fattiness. I’ve also found that fattier cuts turn out really good as well. My personal touches include dusting the beef pieces in rice flour before browning (Julia browned the beef alone, then added flour and roasted the beef for a little while in the oven, turning the beef once halfway through – quite an involved step!). I also decided to keep the pot on the stovetop instead of transferring it to the oven; to me, this better mimics the open-fire method of cooking that birthed this dish, and it doesn’t alienate home chefs that don’t have a dutch oven yet. If you’re rice-free, never fear – while the addition of rice flour helps thicken the sauce and adds a little body to the broth, it’s not a show stopper.

Serves five

6oz bacon, coarsely chopped into strips
3 lbs beef (shanks, chuck, brisket, round roast), trimmed of excess fat, cut into 2″ chunks
1 tbsp white rice flour (optional, see instructions below)
1 small onion, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 bottle (375 ml, about 1.5 cups) medium-bodied red wine (pinot noir preferred)
2 cups beef stock
bouquet garni: 4 sprigs fresh parsley, 6 sprigs fresh thyme, 3 bay leaves (fresh preferred, dried okay)
2 tbsp butter
20 pearl onions, peeled
8 white mushrooms, cut into 1/2″ pieces
3 carrots, peeled and chopped into bite-size chunks
starch to accompany: boiled potatoes, mashed potatoes, mashed cauliflower, rice

The folks over at the Wyoming-based New West Knife Works recently asked me to test out a knife from their new Fusionwood 2.0 line, and I thought prepping for this dish was the perfect opportunity. I tried out their Santoku knife, and overall I was very impressed. The knife handle was longer than I expected, and initially felt a little cumbersome compared to my usual Santoku, the Wusthof 7″ Classic, but after a few minutes I came to appreciate the extra weight of the handle and the balance it provided. Its added length felt a lot like a chef’s knife, which gave the knife a very unique and comforting feel. Anyway, if you’re in the market for a new, high-quality knife, I think you’ll be happy with this knife. They’re currently hosting a summer giveaway on their FB page – a set of their four favorite knives – which is pretty awesome. Okay, let’s knock out the recipe now.

Cook the bacon in a large pot or dutch oven on med/low heat, until crispy. As the bacon cooks, dust your beef pieces with rice flour – this step adds a nice coating to the beef, and helps thicken the sauce, but is ultimately unnecessary if you’re trying to avoid rice altogether. When it’s finished cooking, remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside.

Increase the stovetop heat to medium, then add the beef pieces to the bacon grease and brown for about 3 mins per side, in batches if needed, and set aside the beef when done. Add the chopped onions to the pot, sauté until softened and aromatic, about five minutes. Next, add the tomato paste and garlic, stirring everything together, and sauté until aromatic, about a minute.

Add the beef, bacon, and wine to the pot, and add enough beef stock to cover the beef pieces, about 2 cups. Tie together your bouquet garni with either kitchen twine or some cheese cloth, and add it as well. Bring everything to a simmer, then cover and reduce the heat to low.

You’re going to want to simmer everything until the beef becomes tender, which will take about 2 hours (a little longer if you’re using a very tough or lean cut of meat). There are a few steps to do along the way, and with the right timing everything will come out at the perfect doneness. Quick note as well: be sure to try and skim a little of the fat from the top of the stew from time to time, usually right before adding new veggies.

When there is about an hour of cooking left, it’s time for the next step, which is prepping and adding the veggies. Boil your pearl onions for a minute, fish them out, let them cool, and cut the root side and slip the skin right off (note: many groceries sell peeled, frozen pearl onions, which are very convenient and eliminates this step). In a separate pan, warm the butter on medium heat, then add the onions and sauté them until aromatic (but not totally softened), about four minutes. Add the carrots and sauté for another minute, then add them to the pot. When there are 20 minutes of cooking left, add the chopped mushrooms.

Once the meat is tender and the veggies are done, remove all of the solids from the pot with a slotted spoon and set aside (it’s okay if you don’t scoop out all of the onion pieces and bacon). Discard the bouquet garni. Increase the stovetop heat to med/high, and reduce the sauce by about half – you’ll want about 3 cups of liquid altogether; the sauce will darken was well, which is a good thing. Once the sauce is reduced, remove it from the heat and gently stir in the meat and veggies. Season to taste, adding about 1 tsp each of salt and pepper, and serve immediately.

Printer-friendly version

36 Responses to “Beef Bourguignon, Revisited”

1. inte fan gör det det July 16, 2013 at 11:02 am #

My number ONE dish- all time!!!! I LOVE IT!!!! thanks for posting! :-)
    /anna

2. Janelle July 16, 2013 at 11:06 am #

This looks delicious! I love beef stews and beef bourguingon was the first one I ever attempted to make myself. Thank you for posting.

3. eatcleanfoods July 16, 2013 at 11:21 am #

This looks AMAZING! I wonder if a vegan version of this is possible? Going to try this recipe then attempt to make a vegan version. Looking forward to trying this recipe!

4. Noah Matthews July 16, 2013 at 12:43 pm #

looks like a great recipe. thanks for sharing!

5. That other cook... July 16, 2013 at 1:19 pm #

One of my favorite dishes to make in fall and winter. Your post is beautiful as usual. I use a pressure cooker instead of the dutch oven because I don’t have one, would love to try the dutch oven version. Photos are great!

• Kim July 18, 2013 at 7:56 pm #

This would be great in a slow cooker too.

6. rachelocal July 16, 2013 at 6:59 pm #

I make a version of beef bourguignon, using Anthony Bourdain’s recipe as a guide. I have never attempted the Julia Child version – those tiny onions scare me for some reason. I think the addition of bacon would add another layer of flavor to my recipe – this looks amazing.

7. Alex July 16, 2013 at 7:16 pm #

This looks killer, Russ! I really want to try making this deliciousness.

8. elyasimukka July 18, 2013 at 12:07 pm #

I am excited to try this recipe because my favorite restaurant in town serves a mean beef cheek bourguignon, but it is just too rich now that I mainly eat paleo. The pictures are great, although I never saw the old post, I am sure it is an improvement.

9. Priscilla Sutton July 22, 2013 at 11:43 pm #

Sounds delicious! I will def be trying this.

10. The Food Scout July 23, 2013 at 8:47 am #

Great post!!! :)

11. ihealthnut July 29, 2013 at 10:21 am #

The healthy recipes on here look great! Worth a try. Between this blog and 68anda6pack.com, my determination at this new healthful lifestyle is higher than ever. Thank you!

12. Jason August 1, 2013 at 3:08 pm #

Beautiful presentation. I’ve often thought it would be fun to work through Julia Childs ‘Mastering the Art of French Cooking’ in an attempt to make all the recipes paleo friendly. Her boeuf bourguignon is amazing.

13. Ada ~ More Food, Please August 6, 2013 at 2:05 am #

Your beef bourguignon looks so delicious! I have yet to make a beef bourguignon, but it’s been on my list of things to make for awhile. Bookmarking this recipe–thanks for sharing!

14. Andrew Cordova August 7, 2013 at 8:25 pm #

Wow this was by far the best stew I’ve ever made.

15. Kitty August 13, 2013 at 2:14 am #

Very nice write-up. I certainly love this site. Thanks!

16. Erika October 20, 2013 at 11:41 am #

Fabulous recipe! So delicious! It seemed like a lot of work first time around but worth every bit!! Thank you!

17. Airi October 30, 2013 at 4:25 pm #

Amazing recipe!! Thank you. I’ve made this dish a few times and it is so good every time. Constantly getting compliments on it.

18. Rachel November 10, 2013 at 9:16 pm #

I made this for dinner this evening and it was AMAZING. So rich and flavorful. Thank you for the recipe!

19. Mark Thomas February 11, 2014 at 3:12 pm #

If one did want to do this in the oven what would the temp and cook times be? 350 for 2 hours adding veggies at the same specified time intervals?

• Russ Crandall February 11, 2014 at 4:27 pm #

Mark, I’d do 325, and add the veggies as specified.

20. joymelim February 13, 2014 at 10:57 am #

Reblogged this on Herbs to Go.

21. Jason V February 25, 2014 at 10:13 am #

will the alcohol burn off entirely? i don’t drink.

• Russ Crandall February 25, 2014 at 9:33 pm #

Jason, after two hours of cooking, about 10% of the alcohol remains. They sell non-alcoholic wine in many stores so that you get the same taste. If you can’t find that and you want to keep the alcohol amount to 0%, omitting it isn’t the end of the world.

22. f March 5, 2014 at 7:29 am #

Reblogged this on Home cooking recipes.

23. Ben May 27, 2014 at 2:54 am #

Hopefully I’m not alone in finding it hard to be patient with long prep time for food but in the case of beef bourguignon it is definitely worth it! Thank you for sharing this brilliant recipe :)

24. cholitau June 9, 2014 at 11:30 pm #

Hi Russ! Thanks for this post! Would it be possible to substitute arrowroot for the white rice flour?
    Thanks!

• Russ Crandall June 10, 2014 at 6:12 am #

Starches wouldn’t be a good substitute for rice flour, because they would end up making the sauce gooey and stretchy instead of nice and thick. Coconut flour is probably the best Paleo substitute, but unfortunately it may make the sauce a little gritty. I would simply omit the flour and reduce the sauce at the end to whatever consistency you’d like (maybe down to 1/3 instead of 1/2) and it will still turn out great!

1. Beef Bourguignon, Revisited | Paleo Digest - July 16, 2013

[…] Domestic Man / Posted on: July 16, 2013The Domestic Man – Some long-term readers may remember that I posted a Beef Bourguignon recipe about this time […]

2. The Monday Update No. 1 | The Very Lazy Cook - July 29, 2013

[…] I also made Beef Bourguignon for the first time, using this recipe: Beef Bourguignon, Revisited […]

3. Eating Gluten Free at Chipotle - GF - Gluten Free Magazine - GF – Gluten Free Magazine - August 30, 2013

[…] 1:22 – Van’s chocolate bar 1:55 – Beef Bourguignon – get the recipe here - http://thedomesticman.com/2013/07/16/beef-bourguignon-revisited/ 02:45 – Topic of the week: The Chipotle photo 03:55 – Do you go back to a place you got […]

4. Menu Plan Monday 1/27 | The Meanest Momma - January 27, 2014

[…] Thursday — Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon […]

5. A Brief History Lesson: Beef Bourguignon | The Domestic Man - February 22, 2014

[…] Click here for the recipe. […]

6. Meal Plan for Week of 08-03-14 | - August 2, 2014

[…] (sandwich, for those inclined), steamed broccoli, homemade yogurt with toppings of choice DINNER: Beef Bourguignon, mashed potatoes EXTRAS: […]