Mohinga (Burmese Rice Noodle Soup)

13 Aug

Mohinga is a Burmese rice noodle soup not unlike many other rice noodles soups found in Southeast Asia, like Pho and Laksa. Mohinga is unique in that it uses a catfish soup stock and it’s typically served for breakfast.

There are many variations of this dish out there, but the most common versions usually include chickpea flour (which I omitted since it’s legume-based) and banana tree stem (which I wasn’t able to find in my area). The fish used to make the stock is often pan fried and added to the soup upon serving. To replace the chickpea flour and pan-fried fish, I used crushed up fish and rice fritters, which was my recipe from last week. It ended up being a very good decision.

Serves four

soup base:
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 shallot, chopped
1 tsp shrimp paste
1″ each galangal and ginger
10 cups water
2 whole catfish or other white-meat freshwater fish (~1 lb each), heads separated
1 stalk lemongrass, chopped into 2″ lengths
1/2 tbsp each fish sauce and tamarind paste, more to taste
1 tsp salt, more to taste

accompaniments:
8oz rice vermicelli
4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced in half length-wise
fish and rice fritters
1 handful cilantro, finely chopped
1 lime

Catfish is traditionally used for this dish, but any freshwater white fish should be fine. If you’re getting them from a fish market, be sure to ask them to keep the heads on, as we’re going to use them to make a flavorful fish stock and soup base. Also, I suggest separating the heads from the rest of the fish before starting this recipe so that when you pull the fish bodies out of the pot later you don’t have to look at or deal with the heads.

In a stockpot, warm the coconut oil on med heat for a minute or two, then add the shallot and sauté until softened and aromatic, about three minutes. Add the shrimp paste, galangal, and ginger, and sauté another three minutes, until the paste starts to smell slightly toasted.

Add the fish to the pot and enough water to completely cover the fish, about 10 cups. Simmer, adjusting the heat as needed to prevent it from turning into a rolling boil, until the fish is cooked through, about 10 minutes. You’ll know the fish is cooked when it starts to flake slightly.

Once the fish is cooked, remove it from the pot and set it aside to cool. Continue to simmer the heads in the pot as the fish cools.

With clean hands, gently remove the meat from the fish, discarding the skin. Set the fish meat in the fridge for a while to cool in anticipation of making some fritters to accompany your soup.

Return the fish carcasses to the pot (minus the skins) and add the lemongrass. Simmer for another hour.

During this hour, prep and cook your fritters, and if you haven’t made your hard-boiled eggs, might as well make them now. Similarly, prepare your rice vermicelli by dipping them in boiling water for three minutes, then drain them and rinse with cold water, and set aside.

Also, you may want to check your tamarind paste for chunks, as many brands are machine-processed and have chunks of shell in them, which is not very fun to find in a soup. Take the 1/2 tbsp of paste and mix it with some hot water until it’s dissolved, then strain it and discard any shells you find.

After an hour, strain your broth through a fine sieve or colander and discard the solids. Return the pot of broth to the stove and continue to simmer, and add the fish sauce, tamarind paste, and salt. Add more of each to taste. Cut your lime in half, squeeze the juice out of one half, and slice the other half into wedges to serve with.

Once you’re happy with the taste of the broth, it’s time to put everything together. Add some vermicelli to each bowl, then pour in the broth. Add the cilantro and eggs, and serve with the rice fritters and lime wedges.

Printer-friendly version

22 Responses to “Mohinga (Burmese Rice Noodle Soup)”

1. Marie-whenspoonmeetspot August 13, 2013 at 1:30 pm #

Beautiful dish! Great ingredients!

2. sebbyholmes August 13, 2013 at 6:39 pm #

Wow this looks like a lovely soup. I have not cooked much with catfish, think I need to give it a go. You clearly know what you’re talking about when it comes to Thai cuisine. I am a Thai chef in London and love your recipes. Thanks for sharing – keep blogging

3. swirleysays August 13, 2013 at 10:04 pm #

Mouthwatering!

4. fork and bowl August 14, 2013 at 1:06 am #

That looks wonderful. I love Asian-style soups, but always make tom yum or laksa from a bottled paste. I think I will give this a try soon.

5. vanbraman August 14, 2013 at 1:22 am #

The dish looks really good. I can also imagine this dish in a restaurant in Asia. It is plated in a very authentic style.

6. graduategourmet August 14, 2013 at 12:41 pm #

This looks so elegant! Someday when I have the time I’ll whip this up! :-)

7. fongaaron August 16, 2013 at 6:16 am #

I am a food blog too! We’re alike! :o

If you want to see what I found at a food place, go to my blog at pickynommer.wordpress.com. Like, comment, follow.

8. Samson J. Loo August 17, 2013 at 1:32 am #

I am half Burmese and my father makes this dish extremely well. I’ll have to try this recipe and surprise him! Thanks for sharing!!!

9. vishalbheeroo August 18, 2013 at 6:33 am #

Yummy Burmese noodle:)

10. Jessica August 20, 2013 at 10:23 am #

This looks delicious and I especially love the first photo. Your food photography is amazing!

11. Ayako Mathies August 27, 2013 at 11:00 am #

Is this ever served cold? The dish looks somewhat like cold Korean noodles. Yum.

12. sohailmuhammad43 September 3, 2013 at 2:12 pm #

oh my God awsome….

13. Sailingfork November 18, 2013 at 12:53 pm #

This looks amazing going to make this saturday. Allergic to coconut maybe i can swap it out with tbsp of sesame oil.. Hopefully won’t alter the recipe too much.

• Russ Crandall November 18, 2013 at 4:17 pm #

I’d use butter or ghee instead of sesame oil, which can bring a strong taste to the dish. Let me know how it turns out!

14. chilliandmint January 30, 2014 at 4:23 am #

This is my kind of dish – I adore Burmese food and I like the changes you have made to make it pale friendly.

1. Mohinga (Burmese Rice Noodle Soup) | Paleo Digest - August 13, 2013

[…] Domestic Man / Posted on: August 13, 2013The Domestic Man – Mohinga (မုန့်ဟင်းခါး) is a Burmese rice noodle soup not unlike […]

2. Blogs (and links) I’m loving. | Two Red Bowls - August 20, 2013

[…] Domestic Man (Mohinga (Burmese Rice Noodle Soup)).  Consistently dramatic and stunning food photography and inventive, delicious-looking […]

3. The Roundup: Edition 12 - August 21, 2013

[…] The Domestic Man: Mohinga (Burmese Rice Noodle Soup) […]

4. Rice and Fish Fritters | The Domestic Man - August 26, 2013

[…] next week’s post I’ll write an in-depth description of how I got my white fish meat (I got them from these two […]

5. Mohinga (Burmese Rice Noodles Soup) | Flavor Of Joy - August 26, 2013

[…] Mohinga (Burmese Rice Noodles Soup) […]

6. Cultural Food Challenge | Healthy Helpings - September 18, 2014

[…] This recipe is a variation of the recipe found here. […]