Spring Roll “Tostadas”

17 Sep

A reader recently tipped me off about the idea of pan-frying rice papers (bánh tráng) to make a quick snack. Not only was it a great idea, it served as a unique way of making a quick serving “dish”; in fact, they acted not unlike tostadas in that sense. So to keep with the theme of rice papers, I decided to make some deconstructed spring roll “tostadas” as a quick and easy meal.

serves four

2 lbs pork shoulder, cut into small pieces
1 tbsp each fish sauce, rice wine, tamari (or coconut aminos), honey
1/2 tsp each ground ginger and white pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves

12 rice papers
lard or coconut oil for frying

2 tbsp coconut oil
1 shallot, minced
1lb Chinese cabbage (bok choy or similar), coarsely chopped
6 fresh shitaake mushrooms, coarsely chopped (dried okay if soaked for 30 mins)
2 carrots, julienned
4 scallions, coarsely chopped

Cut the pork shoulder into small pieces, cutting away any huge pieces of fat. It’s okay if the meat is well-marbled, as we’re going to render the fat out as we cook it.

Combine the pork shoulder and all of the items in the first set of ingredients. Put in a ziploc bag and refrigerate for at least four hours, overnight preferred.

Making the rice paper “tostadas” is a breeze. Simply warm up some lard or coconut oil on medium/high heat, then dip them in the oil and hold them down with some tongs. It should only take a few seconds to crisp them up. Drain them on some paper towels.

My son loves them. Once you have the tostadas ready to go, set them aside and get the rest of the dish prepped.

Rinse your vegetables, then cut them up.

Like most quick-cooking recipes, it’s important to have everything chopped and ready to go before you start cooking.

I’ve mentioned it before, but when stir-frying, using a wok and a flame make cooking a breeze. We don’t have a gas range, so we use a butane gas grill, and I love it to death. It’s cheap and the butane canisters last for a surprisingly long time (usually 1.5 hours).

Warm your grill on high heat, then add the coconut oil. When the oil starts shimmering, add the shallot and fry for about 20-30 seconds, until it’s just starting to brown. Add the pork and stir fry, stirring often, until it looks cooked through, about four minutes. Reduce the heat to med/low and let it sit under the flame to crisp a little, about five more minutes.

As it sits under the flame, it’ll crisp up a little and the fat will start to render. Stir it around every few minutes, but not too often since we want the meat to get a slight crust.

Once the pork looks nice and browned, add the cabbage, mushrooms, and carrots, and stir fry until softened, about two or three minutes.

Once the cabbage has wilted to your liking, turn off the heat and mix in the chopped scallions. Add salt and pepper to taste, then spoon some of the mixture onto the “tostadas” and serve.

Printer-friendly version

12 Responses to “Spring Roll “Tostadas””

1. glace September 17, 2013 at 11:34 am #

Wow really cool idea with the spring roll wrap. I’ve been using them to make egg rolls (they bake well), but never thought of this.

2. mcordenlloyd September 17, 2013 at 11:37 am #

Reblogged this on Drinking Under the Moon.

3. Pacific Merchants September 17, 2013 at 1:42 pm #

Great idea. I’m absolutely doing this for a party I have going up!

4. mylittlehappyplace83 September 17, 2013 at 6:03 pm #

How fun! I have some rice paper in my pantry… I will have to try that!

5. forkandbowl September 17, 2013 at 7:13 pm #

Brilliant idea! Definitely going to try this!

6. Fiona September 19, 2013 at 9:52 am #

Absolutely love the idea of making the tostadas with rice paper!! I am so going to try that!! Thanks :)

7. Jessica: Hesitantly Healthy September 20, 2013 at 1:30 pm #

Looks absolutely delicious! Great recipe idea.

8. Jenn September 20, 2013 at 5:09 pm #

Rice paper tostadas! That’s an awesome idea. Going to try this for my upcoming dinner party. Thanks for sharing!

9. thehomesliceblog September 30, 2013 at 5:04 am #

love your photography! Your diet is really interesting, I’m a college teacher and teach a lot of evolution but not much about how it can link to diet. Your blog is fascinating!

10. Mama/McEnnerney October 11, 2013 at 8:18 pm #

What a great idea! Can’t wait to try it out!

11. Annette May 14, 2014 at 7:47 pm #

Making the rice paper crackers was so much fun! Reminded me of India papadsm wich I don’t make anymore. This recipe is quick and easy and tastes totally awesome!

1. Spring Roll “Tostadas” | Paleo Digest - September 17, 2013

[…] Domestic Man / Posted on: January 01, 1970The Domestic Man – A reader recently tipped me off about the idea of pan-frying rice papers (bánh tráng) to […]