Mas Riha (Maldivian Fish Curry)

10 Dec

Baltimore/DC friends: Come join me for a cooking demo and holiday social this Sunday! $10 entry to cover grocery costs, space limited to 30 guests. Click here for more info. See you there!

Mas Riha is a fish curry from Maldives, the small group of islands to the Southwest of the Indian subcontinent (it’s officially the smallest country in Asia). The dish is very representative of Maldivian cuisine, which is based on three main staples: fish, coconut, and starch.

While many people associate curries with hot, humid weather, I prefer them in the cold of winter; to me, the contrast of bitter cold weather and tropical food tends to embolden the curry’s flavors. This week is our first real glimpse of winter on the East Coast (there’s snow on the ground as I type this), so it seems like the perfect time to share this recipe. Fish curry is just about perfect, since it needs so little time to cook; you can easily throw together this entire delicious meal in less than 30 minutes.

Serves two

2 tbsp coconut oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cardamom pods
1″ fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into matchsticks
10 curry leaves (1 tsp curry powder okay)
1 jalapeño or other green chile (serrano, etc), stem, seeds, and ribs removed, sliced
1 onion, sliced
1/2 tsp each ground fennel, cumin, turmeric, black pepper
1 can coconut milk (14 oz)
1 cinnamon stick
salt to taste (about 1 tsp)
1 lb fresh tuna or other firm fish (mahi mahi, swordfish, etc), cut into cubes and lightly salted

Fresh curry leaves are usually available in your local Asian market, but if you don’t have any available, a teaspoon of your favorite curry powder is fine. You’ll want to add the powder when you add the rest of the spices (fennel, etc).

Skipjack or yellowfin (ahi) tuna are traditionally used in making this dish, but any firm fish will do. I used cod in my photos; our local fishmonger was selling some excess/leftover pieces at a discount, and they were easily cut into cubes for Mas Riha.

Lightly salt the fish and set it aside. In a large skillet, warm the coconut oil on medium heat until shimmering, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic, cardamom, ginger, curry leaves, and chile pepper slices and sauté until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Add the onion slices and continue to sauté until the onion softens, about five minutes.

When the onion has softened, add the fennel, cumin, turmeric, and black pepper, and sauté until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Remove the skillet from the heat and transfer everything to a small blender or food processor (I used my Magic Bullet) and blend into a smooth paste, adding water if needed. Discard the cardamom pods if they didn’t fully blend.

Return the skillet to the heat (again on medium heat) and add in the blended onion mixture. Stir in all but 1 tbsp of the coconut milk and add the cinnamon stick. Bring to a simmer, then reduce to med/low and simmer until slightly darkened, about 5 minutes. Taste the curry and add salt if needed.

Gently add the fish pieces to the curry, and simmer without stirring until the fish is cooked through, about 5-6 minutes. The easiest way to tell if fish is done is to gently nudge it with a spoon; it’s ready when it slightly resists flaking. Spoon the curry into bowls and drizzle the extra 1 tbsp of coconut milk over it, then serve with rice or cauliflower rice.

15 Responses to “Mas Riha (Maldivian Fish Curry)”

1. Pacific Merchants December 10, 2013 at 12:03 pm #

Fascinating recipe. I love how pale this curry is and I can absolutely imagine the fragrance of the dish while reading the post. Now I’m craving curry at 9 am.

2. swedishpescetarian December 10, 2013 at 1:33 pm #

Reblogged this on swedishpescetarian and commented:
    Det här ser gott ut. Den får vara med i nästa veckas veckomatsedel.

3. bragnbutter December 11, 2013 at 1:04 am #

It is 7 am here in Germany, but I would eat a considerable bowl of this with rice for breakfast right now. Thinking about doing version of this with root vegetables (standing in for the fish) as a vegetarian dish soonish. Thanks for the idea!

4. Katherine December 12, 2013 at 11:38 pm #

Hey Russ,

I made this for dinner tonight and even using skin-on wild salmon filets, we *all* loved it!

• Russ Crandall December 13, 2013 at 6:03 am #

Awesome, glad you guys liked it! Thanks for sharing.

5. Dennis December 16, 2013 at 12:47 pm #

Good stuff- I love me some coconut curry. I made it with chicken breast since the wife doesn’t care for fish. I wish I would have gone a bit heavier on spicing, but otherwise I loved it. I’ve always found curries to be rather tricky, but this one is easy-peasy. I also replaced most of the water for the rice with the extra coconut milk I bought.
    – Dennis, Life Fermented Blog

6. Ayesha (Miss Spicy Hat n' Sugar Socks) December 16, 2013 at 2:22 pm #

Looks absolutely delicious! :)

7. Samuel Jeffery December 17, 2013 at 2:41 am #

This looks absolutely delicious! Hard to go wrong with anything that calls for coconut milk. Living in Thailand now I’m eating coconut milk almost every day :)

8. Alexa January 11, 2014 at 2:29 pm #

Eating this right now…awesome!!

9. Teresinha Embly February 15, 2014 at 3:26 pm #

Sounds wonderful! can I use the sauce to make chicken n rice? I am looking for a recipe. I am making your dishes weekly for my hubby. Thanks so much for your posts. Btw, I already ordered your new book. You do an excellent job.

• Russ Crandall February 16, 2014 at 8:53 pm #

Teresinha, I think this curry would go well with chicken!

1. The Roundup - January 8, 2014

[…] The Domestic Man: Mas Riha (Maldivian Fish Curry) […]

2. Cooking with Marinades (and a Giveaway) | The Domestic Man - January 9, 2014

[…] something overnight. I try to combine some of my involved recipes with other, faster recipes (my Maldivian Fish Curry recipe comes to mind). I’m also very thankful for other like-minded sites that come up with […]

3. 60+ Thirty Minute (or less) Paleo Meals | Rubies & Radishes - January 11, 2014

[…] Mas Riha (Maldivian Fish Curry) (from The Domestic Man) […]

4. 21 Day Sugar Detox Recipe Round-Up | A Teaspoon of Rosemary - January 28, 2014

[…] Mas Riha (Maldivian Fish Curry) from The Domestic Man. Basically, I want to cook everything that Russ Crandall ever posts on his blog. Ever. And I am hardcore lusting over his new cookbook, The Ancestral Table. I love that he adapts traditional dishes from all over the world to make them paleo-friendly. […]