Savory Slow Cooker Ham

1 Apr

Gluten-Free, Paleo, Perfect Health Diet

Ham recipes have always been special to me; they tend to remind me of family gatherings. But recently, they have been especially special. For starters, my other ham recipe marks the first collaboration I did with my friends at US Wellness Meats, when I was their April 2012 Featured Chef. Last year, that same ham recipe was featured in People Magazine. That’s quite a lot of attention from one little cured pig leg!

The other day, US Wellness Meats asked me to try out another ham recipe, this time using a slow cooker. I jumped at the chance. This recipe is simple and not unlike my other recipe, but with the added convenience of simply throwing everything in a pot to cook in a savory broth. Better yet, this recipe works well in two ways: perfectly cooked to 140F and sliced, or slow-cooked to shreddable deliciousness. Instructions for both methods are provided below.

Savory Slow Cooker Ham

• Servings: 4-6
  • Time: 3-8 hours
  • Difficulty: Easy

1 US Wellness Meats sugar-free ham (2-3 lbs)
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup white wine
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp ground cloves (or 4 whole cloves)

for the sauce:
2 tbsp honey
salt and pepper to taste

1. Place the ham in the crockpot. If it doesn’t fit, trim its edges to fit and throw the trimmed edges into the crockpot as well. If using a ham with a flat end, place the ham flat-side-down.

2. In a small saucepan, warm the other ingredients over medium heat, about 4 minutes, until the honey is melted and the mustard is dissolved. Pour the liquid over the ham, cover, and set to low.

3a. There are two ways to prepare a slow cooker ham. When using a boneless ham (like the one in this recipe), it is best to cook it only until it reaches a specific temperature. To do so, heat the ham on low until it reaches an internal temperature of 140F, about 2 hours (start checking it at 90 minutes, then every 30 minutes). Be sure to use an instant-read thermometer to get the temperature right. This method works with spiral-sliced hams (which are usually bone-in); just be sure to read the temperature for the part of the meat nearest the bone. Let the ham rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

3b. Bone-in hams can be cooked for longer temperatures, resulting in tender meat that can be cut with a fork. To do so, cook the ham on low it until you can partially shred the meat with a fork, 6-8 hours total. One the ham is cooked to your liking, remove it from the slow cooker and set aside to rest for 10 minutes before slicing. A boneless ham isn’t recommended for this method, since it tends to dry out before reaching the desired tenderness.

4. All good hams deserve a finishing sauce, so let’s use the liquid in your slow cooker to add a potent flavor to the finished product. Pour the liquid into a saucepan and heat over med/high heat. Stir in the remaining 2 tbsp honey and reduce the liquid until dark and strongly flavored, about 8 minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste at the end. Pour the sauce over the sliced ham and serve.

** If using a bone-in ham, be sure to save the bone for ham stock.

27 Responses to “Savory Slow Cooker Ham”

1. stephcormier April 1, 2014 at 9:06 am #

Which way did you cook the ham in your featured photo??

• Russ Crandall April 1, 2014 at 8:20 pm #

Hi Steph, the ham in the photo is using the first method (cook to temperature then slice).

2. Katie April 1, 2014 at 9:57 am #

What kind of slow cooker do you have/recommend? Mine cooks so hot on the keep warm that most of the time my meat items turn to rubber in an hour. I was hoping for some advice. Thanks

3. Norma April 1, 2014 at 10:18 am #

The way he cooked the ham pictured is in step 3a. It looks delicious!!

4. Martha Fleming April 1, 2014 at 12:26 pm #

This is about the eye of the round recipe you give–I think my kids and I died and went to heaven. It was soooooo good and tender–I have passed it on to several of my friends.

5. Heidi April 1, 2014 at 10:03 pm #

Hi Russ, This looks and sounds scrummy (scrumptious and yummy)! I have to cook ham in the oven for a couple of hundred people next week. There’s no reason why this recipe wouldn’t work for baked hams as well, right? We also have to slice our ham before heating. I’m thinking the sauce will soak in even more. Any advice?

6. hoytapeo April 3, 2014 at 10:05 am #

Congratulations for the recipe, it looks so nice :)

7. Mimi Zackery April 4, 2014 at 12:01 pm #

This looks really good!

8. Tess @ Tips on Healthy Living April 4, 2014 at 4:23 pm #

This looks delicious! I have to say, your recipe could not have come at a more perfect time. I’m in charge of the Easter ham (ah!) this year, and I will definitely be using your recipe. Thanks for sharing :)

9. Adventures of a Cavemom April 4, 2014 at 4:27 pm #

Is there a substitute for the the orange juice? I’ve got a citrus allergy. Normally, I just use pineapple juice, but I’m not sure how the flavor would be with the mustard in the recipe. Any ideas?

• Russ Crandall April 4, 2014 at 7:30 pm #

I’d totally use pineapple juice in lieu of citrus.

10. Kathy April 16, 2014 at 2:51 pm #

Is there a substitution one could use in place of wine?

• Russ Crandall April 16, 2014 at 8:09 pm #

Kathy, in place of the wine you could use 1/4 white wine vinegar and 3/4 broth or water.

11. ltobias28 April 19, 2014 at 10:44 am #

This looks delicious! I’m planning to make it tomorrow, but I have a 5.5lb ham. Any idea of how long it will take to cook in the slow cooker?

• Russ Crandall April 19, 2014 at 9:08 pm #

Assuming you are using the first method of cooking (to temperature), I would give it around 2.5 hours.

12. Alexandra April 21, 2014 at 5:33 am #

I had run out of honey so used maple syrup in its place. everyone raved about the ham and esp. the sauce!

13. Alex July 25, 2014 at 9:06 am #

Hi Russ, my name’s Alex, I run a pressure cooker blog with a few other chefs from Chicago. We do reviews and recipes. I’m wondering if you would be interested in us featuring some of your recipes on the blog? Please check out our blog and leave a comment! Looking forward to connecting with you!

1. Savory Slow Cooker Ham | Paleo Digest - April 1, 2014

[…] Domestic Man / Posted on: January 01, 1970The Domestic Man – Ham recipes have always been special to me; they tend to remind me of family gatherings. […]

2. Top Five Paleo Easter Recipes | The Paleo Diet Unearthed - April 19, 2014

[…] http://thedomesticman.com/2014/04/01/slow-cooker-ham-paleo-gluten-free/ […]

3. Scalloped Potatoes and Ham | virginia is for hunter-gatherers - July 23, 2014

[…] great options: 1. You can pickup a sugar-free ham over at US Wellness Meats (Russ cooks up one well here), 2. You can cook up a pork shoulder and cube that as well (it will be less salty, but not bad), 3. […]

4. The Best Paleo Recipes - September 5, 2014

[…] Savory Slow Cooker Ham […]

5. 2 Simple Tips for Eating Paleo with the Non Paleo Family - - October 6, 2014

[…] Slow Cooker Ham from the Domestic Man […]

6. Savory Slow Cooked Ham With Butternut Squash Soup | CrossFit 333 St. Charles IL 60174 - October 14, 2014

[…] The Domsestic Man has created a delicious glaze that is made without refined sweeteners. That plus the use of a slow-cooker – count me in! Check out the recipe here: http://thedomesticman.com/2014/04/01/slow-cooker-ham-paleo-gluten-free/ […]