Moroccan Goat Curry (Tagine Makfoul)

15 Apr

Gluten-Free, Paleo, Perfect Health Diet

Tagine Makfoul is a traditional Moroccan curry made with goat or lamb. When my friends Brent and Heather of Virginia is for Hunter-Gatherers recently invited us over for dinner, promising some goat shoulder to accompany their excellent company, I knew that this recipe was the perfect choice; goat becomes tender after extended cooking, and serving it with makfoul (caramelized onion and tomatoes) adds a deliciously sweet and fresh dynamic to an already tasty dish.

This post is actually the second of a joint collaboration with Brent and Heather – be sure to check out another dish that we made on that same day, Tom Kha Gai, which is hosted on their wonderful site.

browning the goat shoulder

softening the onion before adding the shoulder

Moroccan Goat Curry (Tagine Makfoul)

• Servings: 4-6
  • Time: 3 hours 45 minutes
  • Difficulty: Moderate

2 tbsp coconut oil
2-3 lbs whole goat shoulder (lamb okay)
1 onion, chopped

1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
4 tomatoes, chopped
1 pinch salt
1 tbsp honey
fresh parsley to garnish

1. Heat the coconut oil in a tagine or dutch oven over med-high heat until shimmering, then add the goat shoulder. Brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side, lowering the heat as needed to prevent burning. Set the shoulder aside, reduce the heat to medium, and add the chopped onion. Sauté until softened, about 4 minutes, then add the garlic, ground seasonings, and saffron. Sauté until aromatic, about 30 seconds, then stir in the chicken broth and add the bay leaves, cardamom, and cinnamon. Once everything is combined, add in the goat, bone-side down; bring to a simmer, then cover and reduce the heat on low. Simmer for 2 hours, then flip the goat over and simmer for 1 more hour.

2. During the final hour of cooking, make your makfoul. In a large skillet, warm the olive oil on med-low heat for a minute, then add the sliced onion. Sauté until softened, about 4 minutes, then add the chopped tomatoes and a pinch of salt. Continue to sauté the onion and tomato until caramelized, stirring every 5 minutes. It’ll take a while, don’t rush it – I would expect it to take at least 45 minutes. Once it has caramelized to the texture you see below, stir in 1 tbsp of honey and reduce the heat to low to stay warm while you put the rest of the meal together.

3. When the goat is tender and easily pulls away from the bone, remove it from the tagine and set it on a cutting board to rest for 10 minutes. As the shoulder rests, fish the bay leaves cardamom pods, and cinnamon stick from the tagine; raise the tagine’s heat to medium and gently reduce the liquid by 1/3 to help concentrate the flavors, then return the heat to low. Once the goat has rested, remove the bones and cut up the meat into bite-sized pieces. Return the goat meat to the tagine, add salt to taste, and serve. When plating the curry, add a spoonful of the makfoul on top and garnish with fresh chopped parsley. Serve with basmati rice or cauliflower rice if you’re inclined; otherwise, enjoy it as-is.

** As it stands, this recipe is slightly spicy – enough to feel it on your tongue and an excellent accompaniment to the sweet makfoul. To make it less spicy (say, if children are involved), reduce the cayenne to 1/4 tsp. To make it moderately spicy, increase the cayenne to 1 tsp. You can always add some cayenne near the end of cooking.

the makfoul, about 45 minutes into cooking.

31 Responses to “Moroccan Goat Curry (Tagine Makfoul)”

1. Padaek April 15, 2014 at 10:06 am #

Looks absolutely delicious!! :)

2. Arthur in the Garden! April 15, 2014 at 11:17 am #

Yummy!

3. Amanda April 15, 2014 at 1:21 pm #

That looks amazing. Wow. It’s hard to find good goat around here but boy would I love this!

4. It was great having you over to cook with us; I highly suggest everyone take on this recipe. It was our first time having goat, and now I can’t wait to do so again.

5. chilliandmint April 15, 2014 at 5:06 pm #

I adore goat curry and your version looks lovely – full of wonderful spices. Best Torie

6. Jaime April 15, 2014 at 9:08 pm #

Looks delicious! Where can one purchase goat meat in the DMV?

7. AgileWriter April 16, 2014 at 3:24 am #

I love goat meat, m surely gonna cook this on Sunday…

8. toko tommee tippee April 16, 2014 at 9:01 am #

9. maddhinesh April 16, 2014 at 9:50 am #

Reblogged this on maddhineshthoughts and commented:
    mutton curry

10. Carolyn April 16, 2014 at 6:37 pm #

Last weekend I saw goat meat for sale at the farmer’s market. I wondered how one would cook it. Thank you. Your posts are always welcome.

11. Fawn @ Cowen Park Kitchen April 17, 2014 at 8:13 pm #

Looks lovely! I hadn’t really eaten goat much before I traveled to Africa. Grilled goat skewers (brochettes) became a favorite fast though!

12. Analiese Trimber April 19, 2014 at 2:25 pm #

This looks ridiculously amazing. I absolutely love your blog, Domestic Man. You are truly an inspiration. I’ve nominated you for The Sunshine Award, and I sincerely hope you’ll accept. Read this post on my blog to find out what to do next! http://thebaconprincess.wordpress.com/2014/04/19/the-sunshine-award/

xoxo,
    The Bacon Princess

13. girlexpat April 20, 2014 at 4:59 am #

It’s amazing you don’t buy a curry blend? Do you find it more troublesome to add the spices individually? This looks absolutely delish!

14. The Primitive Palate April 20, 2014 at 4:26 pm #

I stumbled upon your blog the other day and loved it :) and then while I was at a bookstore here in Germany I saw your book and picked it up today! Im excited to try out some of your recipes from one paleo blogger to another.

15. Jen April 28, 2014 at 9:23 am #

Thanks for this recipe! I fort get goat in my CSA box & it’s difficult to find recipes. Next time I get goat shoulder, I’m making this!

16. Jen April 28, 2014 at 12:16 pm #

Gosh, my previous comment was a bit messed up, that’s what I get for typing on my phone! I meant to say “Next time I get goat” :)

• Russ Crandall April 29, 2014 at 7:43 pm #

Jen, I totally figured it out :)

• Honeychick Homestead April 30, 2014 at 10:12 pm #

Good, cause I sounded like an idiot! I just made this Filipino Goat Stew recipe, it was excellent. I used a boneless goat sirloin instead of the bone-in meat,
        and it was still yummy!

17. jonablogs June 17, 2014 at 8:47 am #

delicious

• sherien August 9, 2014 at 6:58 am #

Looking awesome…need to try sometime…

18. BBird October 27, 2014 at 12:04 pm #

I made this just the other week with some goat I found at the local Farmer’s market (I used a combination of back ribs and chops, because that’s what they had left when I got there). It was delicious! Now that the market is down for the season, I’m obsessing with where I can find more goat.

1. Moroccan Goat Curry (Tagine Makfoul) | Paleo Digest - April 15, 2014

[…] Domestic Man / Posted on: January 01, 1970The Domestic Man – Tagine Makfoul is a traditional Moroccan curry made with goat or lamb. When my friends […]

2. Tom Kha Gai ต้มข่าไก่ (Thai Coconut Soup) | virginia is for hunter-gatherers - April 15, 2014

[…] blog next Tuesday. The recipe is live now, so I hope you’ll go over and check out his Moroccan Goat Curry (Tagine Makfoul). Russ also made his Sukuma Wiki. This is a fantastic dish that is also part of his book, The […]

3. 13 Paleo Freezer Meals to Prepare Ahead | Paleo Grubs - July 14, 2014

[…] 12. Moroccan Goat Curry It’s time to broaden your horizons if you’ve never tried goat before. This goat curry is made Moroccan style, with robust tastes thanks to the spices used. For those that can’t find goat or would rather not try it, they say you can use lamb as well. But Paleo really is about trying new things and exploring different foods, so try goat first before deciding you don’t like it. Curries make the perfect freezer meal because they reheat so nicely. Double this recipe so you can have plenty left over for meal number two. […]

4. 13 Paleo Freezer Meals to Prepare Ahead | Get Fit Bookmark - July 14, 2014