Quick and Easy Gluten-Free Seafood Pasta

27 May

Many years ago, pasta cooked with seafood was my solution when I wanted something that tasted great without spending much time in the kitchen. Pasta cooks quickly and is delicious; seafood cooks even more quickly and is even more delicious. It’s almost like cheating in the way that you can have a memorable meal in a manner of minutes.

While pasta is rarely on our dinner table these days, we still miss the convenience of a quick Italian-style dinner. So from time to time I’ll whip something up with zucchini noodles or rice-based pasta. When we’re looking for a special treat, we’ll use Cappello’s grain-free fettuccine, which is made using just five ingredients: almond flour, cage-free eggs, tapioca flour, xanthan gum, and sea salt. Although this recipe in particular was made with Cappello’s pasta, directions for all three pasta types are provided below.

Quick and Easy Gluten-Free Seafood Pasta

• Servings: 4
  • Time: 15 mins
  • Difficulty: Easy

1 9oz package Cappello’s fettuccine (rice pasta or zucchini noodles okay)
1 tbsp each olive oil and butter (ghee instead of butter okay)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb raw shelled shrimp
2 5oz cans chopped clams, drained (reserve 2 tbsp clam juice)
2 tbsp dry white wine
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper, more to taste
1 lemon, cut in wedges
chopped fresh parsley to garnish

1. Bring a stockpot of water to boil, then dip the Cappello’s fettuccine in the water and boil for 45 seconds. Strain and rinse in cold water until cool to the touch; toss with a little olive oil to keep from sticking and set aside. If using rice pasta, follow the directions on the back, then strain, rinse, and toss in olive oil. If using zucchini noodles, you don’t need to do anything but make the noodles using a spiralizer.

2. In a large skillet, warm the butter and olive oil on medium heat for 1 minute. Add the garlic and sauté until aromatic, about 30 seconds, then add the shrimp. Sauté the shrimp until nearly opaque, flipping once, about 3 minutes total depending on the size of the shrimp. Add the clams, reserved clam juice, and white wine; simmer until half of the liquid has evaporated, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes total.

3. Add the pasta and toss everything together gently with tongs. Add the salt and pepper to taste. Heat until warm but before the noodles start to stick, tossing often, 3-4 minutes. Divide into 4 bowls and serve with lemon wedges and chopped parsley.

** For extra flavor, toss a little shredded hard cheese (parmesan, asiago, romano or a combination of all three) with the pasta before plating.

** If you’re up for it, there are all sorts of vegetables you can chop up and add to the pasta. The possibilities are endless, but some options could include tomatoes, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, squash, or broccoli. Most veggies can be added when you add the clams and will be cooked through by the time the rest of the dish comes together.

21 Responses to “Quick and Easy Gluten-Free Seafood Pasta”

1. alifemoment May 27, 2014 at 9:02 am #

This pasta looks amazing,well done! :)

2. livitant May 27, 2014 at 10:00 am #

Looks delicious!! Can’t wait to try!

• Russ Crandall May 27, 2014 at 8:38 pm #

Sweet, let me know what you think if you try it!

3. miaandmilopaleo May 27, 2014 at 10:32 am #

I love seafood!

• Russ Crandall May 27, 2014 at 8:38 pm #

me too :)

• miaandmilopaleo May 27, 2014 at 11:38 pm #

You would think since I’m from south Louisiana that I would incorporate more seafood into my diet, but these last few seasons have been expensive! Would love to try this recipe though.

4. Padaek May 27, 2014 at 12:51 pm #

pasta and seafood is a great combo! Looks delicous! :D

5. Tom's Foodie Blog May 27, 2014 at 3:23 pm #

Nice recipe buddy, my brother was looking for a good gluten free seafood pasta yesterday and I found this recipe. What is your favorite Gluten free pasta?

• Russ Crandall May 27, 2014 at 8:39 pm #

We eat gluten-free pasta so rarely that I don’t really have a preference, although I definitely like Cappello’s (the brand used in this recipe) more than the dried pastas you can get at stores.

6. Alexandra May 27, 2014 at 6:30 pm #

I made this tonight and it was wonderful – and very very fast! Thank you for posting it. :) (I used spiralized zucchini and added roasted eggplant to the pasta)

7. franciscochavezc May 27, 2014 at 10:46 pm #

Reblogged this on franciscochavezc.

8. Allison May 28, 2014 at 11:52 pm #

hm… This isn’t exactly Whole30 compliant. BUT, I will have to try this anyway. Can’t do much harm. :]

I made a soup very similar to this recipe before a while back. Seafood can be a bit expensive.
    Great post! Can’t wait to make this.

9. PaleoCastle Mark May 29, 2014 at 5:04 am #

Sounds gorgeous Russ! Really fresh and quick recipe to whip up. Shrimp is absolutely delicious, I’ll have to give those zucchini noodles a go.

10. Christina May 29, 2014 at 5:50 pm #

Yum! I’ve had a hankering for shrimp lately – might have to make this for dinner tonight!
    Christina

11. Whitney Beery May 29, 2014 at 7:13 pm #

My mouth is watering from looking at these pictures! Absolutely stunning.

12. Anne June 3, 2014 at 9:49 am #

Had this last night with zucchini pasta. It is sooo good!! Plus I love to use my little spiral machine to make the zucchini pasta.

1. Quick and Easy Gluten-Free Seafood Pasta | Paleo Digest - May 27, 2014

[…] Domestic Man / Posted on: January 01, 1970The Domestic Man – Many years ago, pasta cooked with seafood was my solution when I wanted something that […]