Simple Basil Pesto

1 May

NOTE: An updated version of this recipe appears in my cookbook, The Ancestral Table.

Pesto has an interesting history. Its name comes from a Genoese (Northern Italy) word that means to crush or pound, implying the use of mortar and pestle. In fact, the English word “pestle” has the same root. While pastes have been used in Italy since the Ancient Roman times, basil wasn’t introduced until later, from Africa (via India), and the modern interpretation of basil pesto dates back only to the 19th century. In fact, pesto didn’t even gain popularity in the United States until the latter half of the 20th century.

Basil pesto is great because it is a fool-proof way to spice up many pasta dish, or even sautéed vegetables. I often add a spoonful of it to many sauces, including alfredo or spaghetti sauce (blasphemy, right?) for a subtle extra kick.

You’ll Need:
2 cups fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup aged Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pecorino Pepato cheese, grated
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup pine nutes
4 cloves garlic

While those two cheeses above may sound intimidating, they’re not; you should be able to find both of them at many local grocery stores. Parmigiano-Reggiano is just a fancy term for Parmesan cheese, although the use of that specific name means that the cheese comes from that area of Italy, and is most likely made with raw milk. Pecorino Pepato in its aged form has a similar taste and granular texture as Parmesan cheese, but is made with sheep’s milk.

One trick to making pesto is to do it in a certain order. First step – blend your basil and pine nuts. I prefer to use my Ninja for jobs like this because it behaves a lot like a food processor but also does a good job blending as well. Either way, a blender or a food processor should work just fine.

Next, add the garlic and blend. Finally, add the olive oil and cheese and blend one last time.

That’s it! This pesto should last a few weeks in the fridge.

9 Responses to “Simple Basil Pesto”

1. katy May 1, 2012 at 7:06 pm #

I make mine the same way, but I like to add avocado, so it turns out super creamy and thick. The only downside then is that it likes to turn brown after a day…it looks awful, but still tastes awesome!

2. alexboake May 1, 2012 at 7:06 pm #

Mmmm, I love basil…and garlic…and parmesan…and the colour green…and also your photography!

3. Jess May 1, 2012 at 9:48 pm #

Keep the avocado seeds in it when you pop it in the fridge and they will stop it from going brown.

4. katyarich May 8, 2012 at 7:19 am #

Pesto pasta is my favourite, I use to make some and freeze so is always handy, lovely recipe:)

5. easynaturalfood May 9, 2012 at 1:04 pm #

I’ve been wanting to try my hand at pesto – this looks like a tasty (and easy!) recipe. Thanks!

6. Anna May 13, 2012 at 11:13 am #

Pesto and “pestle” have the same root, cool food history fact! I will definitely mention this next time I serve up some pesto! Nice recipe. Cheers, :)

1. Product Review: Cappello’s Gluten-Free, Grain-Free Pasta « The Domestic Man - May 2, 2012

[...] bunch. I blanched them in boiling water for a minute, and then tossed them with some butter and my homemade basil pesto. They were quite a [...]

2. Gluten-Free Potato Gnocchi « The Domestic Man - October 23, 2012

[...] a couple of minutes. Next, drain them and toss them with whatever you’d like – butter, pesto, spaghetti sauce, your [...]