The Ancestral Table Recipe List

11 Jan

Holy smokes, my cookbook will be out in one month! That is pretty crazy. I figure that some of you would like to see a little more about the book before committing to buy – I don’t blame you, I’d want the same thing – so here is a list of every recipe in the book, as well as some pretty pictures to look at.

Some longtime readers may notice recipes that I’ve already published here on the site; don’t worry – every dish in the book has been redeveloped from scratch, so every taste you encounter will be new!

SAUCES, CONDIMENTS, AND OTHER BASICS
HARISSA
PRESERVED LEMONS
SATAY SAUCE
TERIYAKI SAUCE

VEGETABLES
GARLIC DILL PICKLES
KABEES EL LIFT (PICKLED TURNIPS)
DO CHUA (VIETNAMESE PICKLED DAIKON AND CARROTS)
KIMCHI

MEXICAN RICE
FRIED RICE
CONGEE
GARLIC MASHED POTATOES
COLCANNON
GNOCCHI
SWEET POTATO POI (POI ‘UALA)
PARSNIP PUREE
TOSTONES
PÃO DE QUEIJO (BRAZILIAN CHEESE BUNS)
PIZZA

RED MEATS
HEARTY STEW
EYE OF ROUND ROAST
SHEPHERD’S PIE
SALISBURY STEAK
CHICKEN-FRIED STEAK
CHILI CON CARNE
BARBECUE BRISKET
STUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS
BORSCHT
SWEDISH MEATBALLS (KÖTTBULLAR)
KALBI (KOREAN SHORT RIBS)
JAPCHAE
JAPANESE BEEF CURRY
LOCO MOCO
BEEF RENDANG
PHO
SUKUMA WIKI
LAMB TAGINE
ROGAN JOSH (KASHMIRI LAMB CURRY)
SHASHLIK (RUSSIAN SHISH KABOBS)

PORK
BARBECUE PULLED PORK
BARBECUE RIBS
MEATY COLLARD GREENS
PORK ADOBO
SIU YUK (ROASTED PORK BELLY)
LEMONGRASS PORK CHOPS
KALUA PIG
GAMJATANG (PORK NECK SOUP)
LECHON ASADO (CUBAN ROASTED PORK)
JERK PORK

POULTRY AND EGGS
ROASTED CHICKEN
COQ AU VIN
SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN
TANDOORI CHICKEN
BUTTER CHICKEN (MURGH MAKHANI)
CHICKEN PAD SEE EW
CHICKEN PANANG
CHICKEN SATAY
TERIYAKI CHICKEN
YAKITORI
ROASTED DUCK AND POTATOES
SMOKED TURKEY LEGS
SEPHARDIC JEWISH-STYLE ROASTED EGGS (HUEVOS HAMINADOS)
SHAKSHOUKA
STEAMED EGGS (GAERAN JIM)
SON-IN-LAW EGGS

SEAFOOD
PESCE AL SALE (SALT-CRUSTED FISH)
CHINESE STEAMED SEA BASS
SOLE MEUNIÈRE
BLACKENED FISH
FISH PIE
LOMI LOMI SALMON
CALDO DE CAMARÓN (MEXICAN SHRIMP SOUP)
SHRIMP CEVICHE
SEAFOOD PAELLA
CRAWFISH ÉTOUFÉE
GRILLED LOBSTER
CHILI MUSSELS
CLAMS IN WHITE WINE SAUCE (PALOURDES AU VIN BLANC)
NEW ENGLAND CLAMBAKE
NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER
CHESAPEAKE BAY CRAB CAKES
NABEMONO

FRUITS AND DESSERTS
BANANA ICE CREAM
STRAWBERRY GRANITA
ALMOND PANNA COTTA
CHOCOLATE PUDDING
RICE PUDDING
BANANA CREAM PIE
BIRTHDAY CAKE

The recipes in my book will be aligned with my belief that safe starches (white rice, tapioca, potatoes) and some forms of dairy have a place in the modern interpretation of the Paleo diet. If you follow a more strict interpretation of Paleo, never fear! The Ancestral Table is mostly filled with strictly Paleo offerings, and the book will also include a substitution guide for anyone wanting to convert the other recipes to a more conventional version of Paleo while maintaining maximum taste.

The Ancestral Table: Traditional Recipes for a Paleo Lifestyle will be out in all major bookstores on February 11th, 2014, and is available for pre-order now:

41 Responses to “The Ancestral Table Recipe List”

1. Zurandrya January 11, 2014 at 11:14 am #

Oh how wonderful, and wonderfully delicious for us! Best of luck to you and your artistry in cooking! :)

2. Leigh J. January 11, 2014 at 11:29 am #

I pre-ordered your book a bit ago and after seeing the pictures alone and then the recipes, I am SO SO glad that I pre-ordered it. I am really looking forward to this book!

• Russ Crandall January 11, 2014 at 12:31 pm #

Leigh, awesome, I’m glad you’re happy with the recipe list! I tried to find a good mix of familiar classics and new tastes.

3. kitoi January 11, 2014 at 11:38 am #

It’s great that you provide a recipe list. I have been disappointed by recent purchases of other whole food books when they arrive and see their recipes. Cheers to you Russ!!

• Russ Crandall January 11, 2014 at 12:32 pm #

Kitoi, I’m glad you like the list. I feel the same way – I’d like to see a full recipe list before pre-ordering, especially from a debut cookbook!

4. Tonia January 11, 2014 at 11:45 am #

Thank you for sharing this! Best wishes. Be sure to promote it often here! Better too much than not enough…just allow some time in between.

• Russ Crandall January 11, 2014 at 12:32 pm #

Tonia, thanks! I have a couple other promo posts planned, but nothing overwhelming. I’m a “less is more” kind of guy :)

5. Kita (@passthesushi) January 11, 2014 at 12:01 pm #

Looking forward to giving my first paleo cook book a flip through!

6. Skipping Stars Productions LLC January 11, 2014 at 12:07 pm #

Reblogged this on Southeast Valley Writers Alliance and commented:
    Cookbooks need to be written too.

7. Alison January 11, 2014 at 12:09 pm #

I have been following you for a week, a newbie to Paleo. I’ve pre-ordered my copy, having already made recipes from your blog, I’m excited about cooking again. It looks beautiful, and I can’t wait to get my copy. Congratulations on a job well done.

• Russ Crandall January 11, 2014 at 12:34 pm #

Alison, thanks! I’m hoping this book is a perfect fit for people trying to figure out how to step up their cooking and introduce new foods after a month of strict Paleo eating. You may benefit the most from this book! Good luck with your journey.

8. swedishpescetarian January 11, 2014 at 3:35 pm #

Best wishes!

9. Christine |Taste of Divine January 11, 2014 at 4:39 pm #

Congrats Russ!! Exciting stuff! That looks like such a great list of recipes, can’t wait for the cookbook to come out! I love that you included how to render pork fat. I have done it before and tried to do it from memory from what the farmer told me. I think I could have saved a lot of mess and trouble if I had a good written guide!

• Russ Crandall January 11, 2014 at 9:34 pm #

Thanks Christine! Beyond Bacon also has a really good lard-rendering recipe (and sausage and pancetta!).

10. Emily Wavering January 11, 2014 at 8:30 pm #

The photos are gorgeous – can’t wait to try some of your recipes! Congratulations on the approaching book release!

11. Lauri Polunsky January 12, 2014 at 8:17 am #

I have 2 copies on my amazon wish list – one for me and one for my friend, who has expressed interest in paleo(!), but draws the line at giving up rice. I know she will enjoy these.

• Russ Crandall January 12, 2014 at 10:12 am #

Lauri, this book may be the perfect fit for her! :)

12. Ray Daigle January 12, 2014 at 7:08 pm #

This looks great! Please send ordering details.

13. Rogelio Espinaca January 13, 2014 at 11:58 am #

hey right on for mentioning KABEES EL LIFT :) I like your diversity yet humble approach.

• Russ Crandall January 13, 2014 at 6:18 pm #

Thanks Rogelio! I tried to provide familiar recipes as well as some unexpected choices.

14. Sean Saunders January 13, 2014 at 12:05 pm #

I’ve been lurking around your site for awhile now and the book looks great so I’ve got one pre-ordered. Thanks for all the work you’ve put into your site and the book!

15. tabithasglutenfreedishes.com January 13, 2014 at 4:41 pm #

Congratulations! Well deserved, I will pre-order now too.

16. stephcormier January 23, 2014 at 8:29 pm #

This all look marvelous! I think you’ve sold me ;)

17. Brad Gillispie January 23, 2014 at 11:44 pm #

Russ, looks great. I can’t wait to try the Jerk Pork. What was the hardest part off writing this book? What was the best part?

• Russ Crandall January 24, 2014 at 6:17 am #

Thanks Brad! The hardest part of writing the book was deciding what to put in the book. There are so many favorites that didn’t make it into the final draft. I guess that’s for book #2! The best part is definitely having a physical copy in my hands – it’s weird and awesome to final see the fruits of nearly 2 years of labor.

18. Clarice February 3, 2014 at 12:12 pm #

Just found your blog today, and I’ll definitely be back! These recipes in your book sound superb.. I’m sold! Eagerly awaiting its release now.
    I’ve been experimenting with paleo recipes the past few weeks and I have to say I have been feeling great on them and they are so tasty. I don’t even feel like I miss most foods that I used to crave since I don’t get hungry nearly as often. Not to mention, it’s really helped stop my instant noodle addiction!

• Russ Crandall February 3, 2014 at 4:25 pm #

Thanks Clarice, glad to hear you’re able to kick an instant noodle addiction – I still get cravings for them myself :)

19. vbarnidge February 11, 2014 at 10:16 pm #

I ordered your book today and now after seeing this luscious list of recipes, I cannot wait for it to arrive!!! Thanks for putting together an incredible variety of foods!!

1. The Ancestral Table Recipe List | Paleo Digest - January 11, 2014

[…] Domestic Man / Posted on: January 01, 1970The Domestic Man – Holy smokes, my cookbook will be out in one month! That is pretty crazy. I figure that some […]

2. Why I Wrote The Ancestral Table | The Domestic Man - January 23, 2014

[…] More info: The Ancestral Table landing page Full recipe list […]

3. Kristine Rudolph » Explore More : January 31st - January 31, 2014

[…] Ancestral Table, is about to hit the marketplace and you can find a list of the recipes included here. The list is amazing and the photos are […]

4. The Ancestral Table: a Review, a Recipe & a Raffle! | virginia is for hunter-gatherers - February 9, 2014

[…] are based on traditional recipes using real-food ingredients, and this book is no exception. With over 100 recipes, you will be hard-pressed to decide what to make first. We started with the Chili Con Carne, and […]

5. The Paleo Diet: Friend or Foe? | Baylee Annis - February 11, 2014

[…] recipes for every meal and every taste. Blogs like The Domestic Man (one that WordPress just recently posted an interview with) publish AMAZING recipes that are easy […]