Roasted Pork Sirloin

17 Apr

I have a confession to make: it’s not often that I invent a recipe out of thin air. Usually I tend to re-create tried-and-true traditional dishes using a wide array of sources. However, with today’s recipe – a roasted pork sirloin – I made the whole thing up, mostly out of necessity. Although there are a lot of recipes out there for how to cook pork sirloin, many of them looked less than great, and there didn’t seem to be a universal approach to cooking this cut of pig.

I chose to tackle this dish for another reason, as well: it’s a fairly affordable cut of pork. That seems like a tragedy – to have an affordable, readily-available selection of meat available but no tasty method of preparation – and I wanted to fill that vaccuum. Luckily, US Wellness Meats agreed with me, and let me try out one of their 4-lb. Pork Sirloin Roasts.

You’ll Need:
1 U.S. Wellness Meats Pork Sirloin Roast (4 lbs)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp each kosher salt and black pepper
1/2 tsp each dried thyme and rosemary

For the sauce:
1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored and diced into small cubes
1/4 cup chicken stock/broth
1/2 cup applesauce (no sugar added)
1/2 cup honey
1 tbsp white wine
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cinnamon

It will take a day or two to thaw this roast in the fridge, so be sure to pull it out of the freezer at least two days before needing it.

Combine the salt, pepper, garlic, and herbs into a small bowl. The herb rub used on this roast is similar to my eye of round roast recipe, and for good reason: it works! This savory outside rub makes a crisp, salty outer shell around the roast which pairs beautifully with the honey/apple sauce we’ll create later.

Preheat your oven to 475 degrees. Rinse the roast and pat it dry with paper towels. Rub the roast with the herb mixture, and place the roast on a baking sheet that is lined with tin foil and a wire rack. Place the roast in the oven on a lower rack and cook for 30 minutes at 475 degrees, then reduce the heat to 350 and roast for another 60 minutes. Start checking it after 45 minutes with an instant-read thermometer. Once it’s reached an internal temperature of 145, remove the roast from the oven, put it onto a cutting board, tent it with tin foil and let it rest for ten minutes.

In a pan, add the chicken broth, applesauce, honey, white wine, black pepper, and cinnamon and heat on medium heat. Pour any of the roast’s leftover drippings from the cooking sheet into the sauce as well. Simmer on medium heat for five minutes, allowing the honey to thicken the sauce as it reduces.

Add the apple chunks and reduce the heat to low, and allow it to continue to simmer for a couple minutes as you prepare the roast.

Remove the tin foil and carefully cut away the kitchen twine holding the roast together.

Slice into thin slices and place them in a serving dish.

As you plate the pork slices, pour some of the sauce over the slices. You don’t need a ton of sauce, just enough to have a little with every bite. Enjoy!

30 Responses to “Roasted Pork Sirloin”

1. Life of a LuckyPorcupine April 17, 2012 at 4:30 pm #

mouth watering! will you marry me? (;

2. Paul Halliday April 17, 2012 at 6:12 pm #

Simple, effective and damn gorgeous! Well done, pal!

3. jpooh April 17, 2012 at 6:44 pm #

Oh, RUSS – this is absolutely beautiful! I have a lovely pork loin roast in my freezer, and I am SO going to make this.

4. alexboake April 17, 2012 at 6:44 pm #

This looks fantastic! We use this cut at home sometimes, and this looks like a great way to liven it up a bit.

5. Kaitlyn April 17, 2012 at 7:53 pm #

I absolutely love the applesauce and granny smith in this. Usually I only use apple cider vinegar for my pork tenderloin. Might as well just go with the real thing!

6. easynaturalfood April 21, 2012 at 1:25 am #

Wow, this looks so good! Pork and apple is a fabulous combo, but I love how tender and moist the pork looks. Delicious!

7. The Humble Foodie May 19, 2012 at 10:42 pm #

This recipe is so simple yet so, so delicious! I made a few tweaks to the sauce to fit what I had on hand, and I added some caramelized onions and a side salad of spinach from my garden. Would you mind if I posted my adapted version of your recipe on my blog (of course giving credit to you as the original)?

8. Laura October 4, 2012 at 10:47 am #

Made this last night and it was AWESOME! I had a 2 lb roast so I cut the cooking time down a little and oh my gosh! So good! My hubby toook the leftovers to work and that is something he never does!

9. Lori Carroll December 31, 2012 at 8:32 pm #

This looks absolutely fabulous!! I just made my first order from US Wellness Meats, and I can’t wait for it to arrive… I made sure I ordered one of these so I could make this recipe… probably this weekend!! Finding decent grass-fed beef and chicken… free of antibiotics and such isn’t hard around here, but pork is a tough find. Got this, a sugar free ham, and some of the sugar free bacon… my mouth is watering already!!

10. Cassandra January 5, 2013 at 11:49 pm #

Tried this tonight! Used a pear instead of the apple because that is what I had on hand. Every one loved it!
    A great way to use a cheap cut of pork:)

11. Lori Carroll January 6, 2013 at 6:09 pm #

HOLY MOSES!!! Made this today… I think I have died and gone to heaven!!! Your hit it out of the park with this recipe!!! I used a locally produced orange blossom honey that I think gave it a good flavor. My mother (who was skeptical of things I would make that were dairy free, and is now even more wary of this whole organic/paleo “thing”, as she calls it) tried a bite and pronounced it “Oh my God, THAT”S GOOD!”… high praise coming from her! This recipe is a definite keeper. I parceled the leftovers into containers for myself, and I’ve got a bunch more meals to come. Paired this with a sweet potato and some paleo slaw (courtesy of Virginia is for Hunter/Gatherers) and I had a really good dinner!!

• Lori Carroll January 6, 2013 at 6:23 pm #

I was also out of thyme (don’t ask me how we had no thyme in the house) so I substituted Bell’s Seasoning (a poultry seasoning that has thyme in it… it’s good stuff!!) and I think it worked nicely! The whole house now smells of pork loin roast… mmmmm…

• Russ Crandall (thedomesticman.com) January 6, 2013 at 7:50 pm #

Lori, that sounds like a great meal! :) Thanks for sharing.

12. Iva January 15, 2013 at 12:01 pm #

How long would I cook this with a 1.7lb roast, rather than 4lb?

• Russ Crandall (thedomesticman.com) January 15, 2013 at 5:36 pm #

Iva, I would roast it for 12 mins at 475, reduce the heat to 350 and roast for another 30 mins, and use a thermometer at that point to gauge the internal temp.

13. sandijones2013 March 19, 2013 at 7:30 pm #

If you have the equipment, a simpler way to roast this would be to do it directly in a cast iron or stainless steel pan. Then you can remove the roast and make the sauce directly I the pan, saving a step and some dishes!
    I’ve got the roast in the oven right now, and it smells great!

14. Mark Bowman June 11, 2013 at 9:50 am #

Is there a difference between a Pork Loin and a Pork Sirloin Roast? I have a 5 lbs Pork Loin but I do not know if I use this recipe.

• sandijones2013 June 11, 2013 at 12:28 pm #

Sirloin is the rump-end of the cut. It’s a little fattier. If you use your loin end, you may want to rub it with fat or oil to help ensure it doesn’t dry out.

1. Roasted Pork Loin with Honeyed Apple Sauce | The Humble Foodie - May 23, 2012

[…] Pork Loin with Honeyed Applesauce – Serves 8 Adapted from Roasted Pork Sirloin by The Domestic […]

2. Roasted Pork Sirloin with Pomegranate Balsamic Sauce | Good Life Farm - January 13, 2013

[…] Pork Sirloin with Pomegranate Balsamic Sauce Adapted from The Domestic Man and […]

3. Madrigal Dinner offers Renaissance entertainment | Ames247 - January 18, 2013

[…] dinner is not complete without a Renaissance feast to go with it. Guests will be treated to roast sirloin of pork, pease porridge, wassail punch, salad with raspberry vinaigrette and other 16th century […]