Callaloo (Caribbean Green Soup)

25 Feb

Gluten-Free, Paleo, Perfect Health Diet

Callaloo is a Caribbean dish that originated in Africa. It is typically made with amaranth leaves (aptly called callaloo in the West Indies), taro leaves (dasheen), or water spinach; since these plants are somewhat hard to find in the United States, spinach is a common replacement stateside. There are many variations of this dish, and my recipe follows the Trinidadian version, which includes coconut milk and okra. In the Caribbean, Callaloo is often served as a side dish, but when I make it, it almost always turns into a main course. I’m not the type of guy that craves vegetables often, or vegetable soups for that matter, and I crave this dish. A lot.

I think I could eat my weight in Callaloo. I don’t know what it is about this dish that makes me go crazy about it. For one thing, I feel like a superhero after I eat it – like I’ve consumed a week’s worth of vegetables in one sitting. It’s also ridiculously delicious, and carries a unique flavor despite using fairly common ingredients. The only ingredient in here we don’t eat regularly is okra, since my wife isn’t a fan of okra’s slimy texture; luckily, the texture is cleverly masked in this dish.

Callaloo (Caribbean Green Soup)

• Servings: 4
  • Time: 40 mins
  • Difficulty: Easy

1 tbsp olive oil
1 med onion, coarsely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
10 pieces okra, tops removed, sliced
1 cup chopped pumpkin or squash (if out of season use 1 can puree)
3 sprigs fresh thyme leaves (about 1/2 tsp), dried okay
1 tsp sea salt, more to taste
1/2 tsp black pepper, more to taste
1 can (about 2 cups) coconut milk
1 cup chicken broth (or vegetable stock to make vegetarian/vegan)
1 scotch bonnet or habanero pepper (optional)
1 lb fresh spinach, stems included, coarsely chopped
6 chives, chopped

1. In a stockpot or large saucepan, warm the olive oil over medium heat for a minute, then add the garlic. Sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds, then add the onion; continue to sauté, stirring often, until the onion is translucent, about 4 minutes.

2. Add the peppers and sauté until softened, another 4 minutes, then stir in the okra, pumpkin/squash, thyme, salt, pepper, coconut milk, chicken broth, and scotch bonnet/habanero pepper if you’re using it. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low; simmer until the squash is fork-tender, about 20 minutes. Be careful to not burst the scotch bonnet/habanero pepper when stirring the soup.

3. Stir in the spinach, in batches if needed (add more as it wilts and shrinks). Simmer until the spinach is soft and dark green, about 8 minutes.

4. Add the chives to the soup, and carefully fish out the scotch bonnet/habanero pepper. Using an immersion blender or food processor, gently blend the soup until it is smooth but still has a little texture. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.

** Instead of using two bell pepper halves, feel free to use one whole bell pepper. I just like the bit of color that comes from using half of a red bell pepper.

** If you are lucky enough to find amaranth or taro leaves, use them as directed in this recipe, but bear in mind that they’ll take longer to soften than spinach – 30 minutes should be enough time.

** Many people add meat to this dish, including crab pieces, stewed chicken, or salted pork. Typically the meat is cooked with the vegetables, fished out before you blend the soup, then shredded and returned to the blended soup.

Callaloo before blending.

35 Responses to “Callaloo (Caribbean Green Soup)”

1. strictlydelicious February 25, 2014 at 11:08 am #

Oh my gosh, I’ve loved Callaloo since dating a Trini man many years ago, and crave it often. But I always thought making it myself was out of the question because of those unattainable green leaves! Thanks for this!

2. tessadomesticdiva February 25, 2014 at 12:44 pm #

I have never heard of this, but the unique set of ingredients totally has my interest piqued! Will pin and try this soon…just not sure I can get my hands on any okra..I have only ever seen it frozen, do you get it fresh?

• Russ Crandall February 25, 2014 at 8:58 pm #

Hey Tessa, frozen okra is totally fine with this recipe, just allow for a couple extra minutes of cooking to soften it. I used fresh okra in my recipe, which I get at my local Asian market.

3. I'm Gonna Cook That February 25, 2014 at 1:58 pm #

This looks so yummy! I will definitely add this to my list of recipes to try soon. Do you think it would freeze well?

• Russ Crandall February 25, 2014 at 8:59 pm #

Yep, it would be an awesome dish to freeze and reheat.

4. Jen February 25, 2014 at 3:20 pm #

You had me with the okra (and the luscious green shade of the soup!).

• Russ Crandall February 25, 2014 at 8:59 pm #

I know, right? I love okra, even (especially!) the sliminess :)

• Jen February 26, 2014 at 4:31 pm #

Ha! Yes. That and the satisfying crunch when you slice it…(Yes, I am odd.)

5. Urvashi Roe February 25, 2014 at 3:52 pm #

I’ve never seen a recipe for this. How virtuous!

6. feedingthesonis February 25, 2014 at 5:14 pm #

Love it!..Amaranth is my favourite leafy veg..check out my recipe if interested…I will definately be trying this one out but before the blending bit 😊..thx for sharing this interesting recipe.

• Russ Crandall February 25, 2014 at 9:00 pm #

Glad you like it! Amaranth is great, but sometimes hard to find in our neck of the woods. I’ve used it to make greens before, though!

7. Maria Tang Campos February 25, 2014 at 6:18 pm #

OK, I’m trini to de bone, and you did a good job here, but this is the more traditional recipe for Callaloo, which is the national dish of Trinidad and Tobago

1 medium onion, chopped
    1 tbsp. minced garlic
    2 tbsp. oil
    1 bundle callaloo bush, washed & chopped (spinach as substitute)
    2 cups coconut milk
    6 medium ochroes (this is how we spell it), chopped
    2 clean crabs cut in halves (or salt pork)
    ½ cup finely chopped pimento
    ½ cup finely chopped carrots
    1 tbsp. green seasoning ( http://www.cookingwithria.com/2013/03/trinidad-green-seasoning.html )
    2 scotch bonnet
    Salt, to taste

1. Sauté onion, garlic & pepper in heated oil.

2. Add ochro, pimento, carrot, green seasoning, salt, crabs, callaloo leaves & coconut milk, mixing together.

3. Bring to a boil, lower heat & cook covered for about half an hour, stirring occasionally.

4. When all ingredients are soft, swizzle (or use a blender or processor) to make a smooth pulp.

5. Adjust salt & pepper.

In my home we serve it with rice.and a good trini beef stew (paleo of course). .

• Russ Crandall February 25, 2014 at 9:08 pm #

Hi Maria, looks great, thanks for sharing!

8. baffinsfarmcatering February 26, 2014 at 6:19 am #

Reblogged this on baffinsfarmcatering and commented:
    What a dish

9. thechefcat February 26, 2014 at 8:04 am #

This look excellent! Gotta try that!!!

10. Amanda February 26, 2014 at 3:23 pm #

That is gorgeous. The only time I’ve had callaloo was in a really authentic jamaican restaurant in Harlem with an old grandma making the food in the back. SO. GOOD. I actually think I’m going to try this at home. I’ve seen some red amaranth in the market. I wonder if that would work. It tastes like beets though.

11. Jon February 27, 2014 at 3:42 pm #

Hi Russ,

This was my first recipe from ‘The Domestic Man’ and as soon as I had discovered your blog last week, I immediately ordered a copy of your new book (using the link through your blog, obviously) through Amazon. The Calalloo came out a lucious green and it did have a good flavor, but I think it could be great. All ingredients were fresh from the farmer’s market that day.The flavor I felt was flat on the back end and I plan to tweak the recipe on my own to try to round out the flavor. I haven’t quite come up with what that added ingredient(s) would be and still adheres to Paleo guidelines AND honors the traditional recipe. I definitely will be trying it again.

Tonight I’m fixing the Eye of Round, updated version from the book, for our dinner. Excited to try it!

Thanks for the great recipes and sources of inspiration.

• Russ Crandall February 28, 2014 at 7:11 am #

Hi Jon, adding a bit of salt pork may give you the flavor profile you’re looking for. Did you use a Scotch Bonnet pepper? I found that using the pepper definitely deepens the flavor, although it does make the soup a bit more spicy. Adding a few drops of Tabasco may also provide a bit of heat and its acidity will broaden the overall flavor to boot.

12. thefolia March 1, 2014 at 10:53 am #

You got my attention…I’m on the hunt for Callaloo! Happy Nesting.

13. lizziethelazystudentcook March 3, 2014 at 1:39 pm #

This looks LUSH. I’ve never seen this in any cookbook or food magazine before (quite amazing, isn’t it)- love it when I discover completely new recipes :)

14. Cristina Shiffman March 3, 2014 at 3:45 pm #

Wanted to let you know I happened on your Banana Cream Pie recipe while browsing my copy of TAC–yesterday on national Banana Cream Pie Day! I just happened to have all the ingredients, but not the time to make the crust as described. The custard set while the cookie baked and cooled. I broke up the cookie and I served it layered in stem glasses with the custard as a parfait. Perfect! (Every dish I’ve made from TAC has become an instant family classic, so Thanks!)

15. livingrealblog March 3, 2014 at 3:46 pm #

I can’t imagine the flavor of the finished dish, but I’m intrigued by it, and must try it.

Russ I recently won a bundle of books from Chowstalker, and your book was included. I hadn’t heard of you, your blog, or book before and actually made my choice of bundles because I wanted The Paleo Approach. But, I’m thrilled now to have your cookbook as well. The recipes look wonderful especially the mouthwatering comfort food like Swedish Meatballs, Salisbury Steak; yummo. I’m new to Paleo but I’m really enjoying it so far due to such an incredible Paleo community.

• Russ Crandall March 3, 2014 at 3:49 pm #

Awesome, congratulations on winning the book and I’m happy to hear that you like it!

16. Kristy March 4, 2014 at 7:04 pm #

I read that Malabar “spinach” is the main ingredient in this dish, and that it is very easy to grow in hot weather. I plan to try it this summer. In the meantime, pigweed amaranth had completely overtaken the five beds at the school where I am librarian and sponsor of the garden club. In the process of pulling it up, we put at least a million of the tiny seeds back into the dirt. I know that pigweed amaranth is commonly used for dying in parts of Africa, but is it also edible? I will have to research!

17. Marie March 5, 2014 at 11:43 pm #

Does the Scotch Bonnet just go in whole? What would happen if it were pierced or something?

• Russ Crandall March 6, 2014 at 6:55 am #

Marie, yes it goes in whole. If you pierced the pepper it would make for a spicier soup! As it is, it just imparts flavor and a bit of spice.

18. Shay March 7, 2014 at 7:36 am #

This turned out great. It felt so healthy to get a huge dose of greens and bone broth at once. Highly recommend! (I added smoked salmon for protein, and it was a nice add.)

19. buttoni March 11, 2014 at 10:26 am #

This sounds amazing, Russ. I’m a big soup fan and have been having it for lunch almost daily lately. Can’t wait to try this one…..once as written; once with the addition of some crawfish (or shrimp). :)

20. Blake Holman March 19, 2014 at 2:25 pm #

Nice Callaloo recipe! I’m going to have to make it and share with my friend, who was born and raised in Trinidad.

21. Ambra June 25, 2014 at 11:23 pm #

I love your site! Great job. I lived in Trinidad for a few years and like the dish, although I find it has a baby food consistency and is somewhat slimy. Still ate my fair share :-). You should also try the Jamaican version, it’s not pureed.

1. Callaloo (Caribbean Green Soup) | Paleo Digest - February 25, 2014

[…] Domestic Man / Posted on: January 01, 1970The Domestic Man – Callaloo is a Caribbean dish that originated in Africa. It is typically made with amaranth […]

2. Ital Stew | The Domestic Man - July 29, 2014

[…] in my Callaloo recipe from earlier this year, there is a lot of variation to this dish. Typically, it’s made with […]